Upgrade

When I was playing last night, the computer suddenly died. When I tried to turn it back on, it tells me that there's a hardware failure and I get a black screen after the window logo. I don't know what's wrong, but I think it's about time I upgrade my computer.

My current build is:

CPU: Intel(R) Core i5-2500K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Memory: 8 GB (4GB x2) DDR3/1600MHz

Storage: Intel 545s 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Video Card: HIS - Radeon HD 7950 3GB

Case: Azza - Hurrican 2000R

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus

Are there any parts that I should keep?

I generally like to run multiple applications at once, so I'm planning on getting 16GB ram and the Ryzen 2600x or the new 3600 when it comes out. I mostly do casual gaming like Starcraft 2, so I think mid-tier video card should be enough since I don't play any fps or super high quality games. Other than that, I'm clueless on how to choose the other parts. I've never built or assembled a computer before. My budget is about $1300 CAD.

I tried inserting the Windows disc to start the installation/reformat, but it never loaded that screen.

To describe the death part, I was playing a game, and then, the screen turned something like a tiled texture and just froze there for a long time. I turned off the power and when I turned it back on, it would say hardware failure.

Also, when I enter the BIOS, there are 2 thick vertical blue lines going up and down the screen. When I removed that harddrives and rebooted, there would be some ??????? scrambled text along with the expected "no boot device found".

Maybe the gpu died? Pop it out and give your integrated gpu a try.

You might have also messed up your boot order so check that you're booting from the correct device in bios.

In my opinion get 16 GB RAM at at least 3000MHz speed (the 3600 mobos support DDR4) and the new ryzen 3600 when it comes out.

If you have a bit cash left try upgrading your GPU once the prices drop when the SUPER cards launch.

Which motherboard and video card should I be watching out for?

5 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

Maybe the gpu died? Pop it out and give your integrated gpu a try.

You might have also messed up your boot order so check that you're booting from the correct device in bios.

It seems to be the case. I removed the gpu and I can get into windows. In this case, what should I do? Is there cheap GPU that can fit my motherboard or should I just upgrade everything?

2 hours ago, frozened said:

It seems to be the case. I removed the gpu and I can get into windows. In this case, what should I do? Is there cheap GPU that can fit my motherboard or should I just upgrade everything?

If you're planning on upgrading, you can always do it in stages. Case and power supply, then like gpu, ect. You could stick like a RTX card in there or the new AMD stuff that's coming out in a couple days in your current build. Sure you're going to bottleneck your performance on a slow 4 core/4 thread cpu but it's going to go as fast as it possibly can until you get the rest of your parts which is likely 3x the performance of what you got with the HD7950.

Otherwise GTX 970's and used AMD cards are usually great values for 1080p60, I'd avoid anything GCN1 or older as I've had driver issues with them, they're past their prime and you already had one. The Canadian used market kinda sucks though from what I've seen trying to help some friends, buying local is usually where you get the best deals.

Well, you don't need much for Starcraft 2, but I would future proof a bit in case you you move up to more demanding games at a later date. I would consider this Gigabyte Windforce 1660ti at $385 CAD (if it fits your case) or wait for the AMD Navi 5700 which will probably sell for about $460 CAD (assuming you don't want G-sync or G-sync compatible.) There may be more pressure on prices once all the new cards are available.

https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gv-n166tgaming-oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932129?Item=N82E16814932129

You could spend much less for Starcraft 2, though, if you wanted. The GTX 1660 would be nice too, and a significant upgrade, or the RX 570/580.

7 hours ago, Bearmann said:

Well, you don't need much for Starcraft 2, but I would future proof a bit in case you you move up to more demanding games at a later date. I would consider this Gigabyte Windforce 1660ti at $385 CAD (if it fits your case) or wait for the AMD Navi 5700 which will probably sell for about $460 CAD (assuming you don't want G-sync or G-sync compatible.) There may be more pressure on prices once all the new cards are available.

https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gv-n166tgaming-oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932129?Item=N82E16814932129

You could spend much less for Starcraft 2, though, if you wanted. The GTX 1660 would be nice too, and a significant upgrade, or the RX 570/580.

Would it still work if I get like GTX 1660 or RX 580 with my current motherboard and CPU?

Yes, it will work with your current CPU and MB, but you'll only see a slight improvement in gaming until you upgrade to a better CPU. You can get an estimate here:

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-vs-amd-radeon-hd-7950/intel-core-i5-2500k-3-30ghz-vs-intel-core-i5-2500k-3-30ghz/high/high/-vs-

Whatever GPU you get, make sure that it has at least 6GB of VRAM (1660/1660ti or 580/590.) If you get the 570, then 4GB will probably be OK.

10 hours ago, Bearmann said:

Well, you don't need much for Starcraft 2

That depends largely on the game modes you play :P

Getting thousands of units clashing can get pretty intensive!

2 hours ago, frozened said:

Would it still work if I get like GTX 1660 or RX 580 with my current motherboard and CPU?

If you're running a decent overclock, there's no reason the 2500k wouldn't support a 1660Ti. 

That said, the upgrade from just a 2500k to a 2600k would reduce any resulting stutter significantly. 

Power wise: GTX 1650 ~ RX 570 < RX 580 < GTX 1660 ~ RX 590 < GTX 1660Ti. In terms of price-to-performance, the clear winners are either the RX 570 8GB, or the 1660Ti. (the performance gap is quite large, I just refer to low price for performance value.) The RX 580 8GB is a close 3rd.

I think I'm gonna end up with something like this

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($145.99 @ PC-Canada)

Memory: 16GB
Storage: Intel - 545s 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (From existing computer)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 590 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card  ($299.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Power Supply: Corsair - Enthusiast 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (From existing computer)
Total: $710.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-05 21:10 EDT-0400

For the video card, I won't be doing any overclock. I'll be getting the 590 instead of the 580 since the 590 is actually cheaper here.

Ryzen 5 2600X is on sale for $199. Ryzen 5 3600 will be at $300.

I don't know if the 3600 will be worth the extra $100+.

What brand should I get for the 16gb Ram?

28 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

That depends largely on the game modes you play :P

Getting thousands of units clashing can get pretty intensive!

I'll defer to your expertise. I was going by the recommended hardware.

1 minute ago, Bearmann said:

I'll defer to your expertise. I was going by the recommended hardware.

I think the base game is free these days! You should hop on and try a custom map called Final Strike sometime!

Lots of fun!

11 minutes ago, frozened said:

Ryzen is not choosey. You will want dual channel (2x8GB) at 3000-3200mhz frequency. 

23 minutes ago, frozened said:

I think I'm gonna end up with something like this

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($145.99 @ PC-Canada)

Memory: 16GB
Storage: Intel - 545s 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (From existing computer)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 590 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card  ($299.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Power Supply: Corsair - Enthusiast 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (From existing computer)
Total: $710.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-05 21:10 EDT-0400

For the video card, I won't be doing any overclock. I'll be getting the 590 instead of the 580 since the 590 is actually cheaper here.

Ryzen 5 2600X is on sale for $199. Ryzen 5 3600 will be at $300.

I don't know if the 3600 will be worth the extra $100+.

For the 2600, I would recommend 3000-3200 RAM. For the 3600, up to 3600 RAM depending on pricing. I would put your MB in here for a start:

I don't think the Ryzen 5 3600 will be worth an extra $100+ CAN. The pricing pressure will be on the current generation.