Gpu upgrade help

seperate28

Hello, i am considering upgrading my current GPU which is a GTX 970 . Should i go with either the vega 56 £235 or gtx 1070 £334 or maybe something else even?

Secondly, would one of these cards bottleneck with my current system? :

i5 4670k @4.3ghz

16gb ram 2400mhz

MSI GAMING 5 mobo

seasonic 650w psu

Any help is much appreciated 

I would go with the Vega 56 just because of the price to performance, the 1070 probably has better performance but is more expensive.

the CPU should be fine aswell :)

What resolution and refresh rate?

What games do you play?

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 minutes ago, harryp2404 said:

I would go with the Vega 56 just because of the price to performance, the 1070 probably has better performance but is more expensive.

The Vega 56 should trade blows with the 1070. In some games 1070 will be superior(sometimes not by small margins), and sometimes Vega 56 can start performing similar to a 1070Ti/1080. Since it's so much cheaper I'd get the vega.

Also, a 4670k is more than enough for a vega in most scenarios, especially overclocked.

4 minutes ago, seperate28 said:

Hello, i am considering upgrading my current GPU which is a GTX 970 . Should i go with either the vega 56 £235 or gtx 1070 £334 or maybe something else even?

Secondly, would one of these cards bottleneck with my current system? :

i5 4670k @4.3ghz

16gb ram 2400mhz

MSI GAMING 5 mobo

seasonic 650w psu

Any help is much appreciated 

What model is your PSU?

1 minute ago, harryp2404 said:

yeah the price is really good, and looking at benchmarks its outperforming the 1070 frequently if not on parr

the problem is the heat, i imagine. and im so used to nvidia with the drivers, control panel and such 

Just now, seperate28 said:

yeah the price is really good, and looking at benchmarks its outperforming the 1070 frequently if not on parr

the problem is the heat, i imagine. and im so used to nvidia with the drivers, control panel and such 

Power draw and heat will be issues, make sure the card you're getting has a decent cooler, and i'd probably suggest adding your own thermal paste in. highly recommend thermal grizzly kryonaut for that

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

The Vega 56 should trade blows with the 1070. In some games 1070 will be superior(sometimes not by small margins), and sometimes Vega 56 can start performing similar to a 1070Ti/1080. Since it's so much cheaper I'd get the vega.

Also, a 4670k is more than enough for a vega, especially overclocked.

What model is your PSU?

thanks bro, my psu is seasonic m12 620w evo i think , had it for years

also, i want to play skyrim with enb at decent performance 

1 minute ago, seperate28 said:

thanks bro, my psu is seasonic m12 620w evo i think , had it for years

According to the PSU tier list, it's a tier C PSU. Should serve you decently for a few more years. Your system should pull like 550W at max(like, GPU 100%, CPU 100% kinda thing, which is rare).

2 minutes ago, seperate28 said:

also, i want to play skyrim with enb at decent performance 

Vega 56 and 4670k should give you decent performance, this video shows someone using a 1070 and a 7600k getting minimum like 50-60FPS. The Vega 56 should be similar to the 1070 and the overclocked 4670k should perform similarly to a 7600k

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

According to the PSU tier list, it's a tier C PSU. Should serve you decently for a few more years. Your system should pull like 550W at max(like, GPU 100%, CPU 100% kinda thing, which is rare).

Vega 56 and 4670k should give you decent performance, this video shows someone using a 1070 and a 7600k getting minimum like 50-60FPS. The Vega 56 should be similar to the 1070 and the overclocked 4670k should perform similarly to a 7600k

thanks for your help

i built the system in 2015, do you think the power supply will last long enough and not destroy components? 

7 hours ago, seperate28 said:

thanks for your help

i built the system in 2015, do you think the power supply will last long enough and not destroy components? 

If I were you I’d upgrade to something like a Corsair RM750x, 4 years seems like a decent period to upgrade a low-ish quality PSU