EdgeRouter X DHCP help

Jimmychinga

Hey guys,

I'm not a total expert on networking and such so excuse me in advance if I use terms that aren't correct.

Ill try to explain the issue i'm having the best I can.

Firstly my situation is iv got internet via "wirelessFibre™ Fixed wireless" and the speeds and everything is fantastic. My issue started when I upgraded my router to the EdgeRouter X.

The interface is very intimidating, being used to standard routers all my life I had become confident with navigating my way around, but this is like a whole new level of network language I'v never experienced.

I had the ISP guy set it up for me and everything worked great.

I had my line in and then line out on 1 channel to a network switch which then fed all my devices.

Iv been trying to word what I want to say for the last half an hour but I dont know the correct terms and I keep deleting it because I sound like a complete amateur.

Ill stick with my main issue, every time i connect a device to my network either via wireless or wired to my switch, I get no internet access and have to manually set up an ip address on the device i want to use internet on.

So for example i have to go into my network settings for that connection on my Nintendo switch and assign it a local address (eg. 192.168.3.20) then set the router (192.168.3.1) and the subnet (255.255.255.0) and then dns etc, before I can get internet access.

I don't know why the second last number is "3", iv only ever known my router IP to have 192.168.1.1 or 10.1.1.1 etc. I now have 192.168.2.1 and 3.1 etc on this router. Its crazy confusing why im on the 3.1. The other ports on my edgerouter don't get internet but that must be how he set it up. I want to get my head around it all because I tried to fifddle and ended up knocking out my internet. After a few days trying to get help I eventually got one of their guys to remote login and get my net up and running again but I wasn't in a position to get help with my other issues.

Hoping I can get some education from you you fine gentleman.

Thanks guys

-James

That definitely sounds like a DHCP issue. As for your address range you may be on a double NAT where your modem (provided by your ISP) may in itself contain a router. This would create it's own network. By plugging this edge router into that the network has to be incremented. (So if 0.1 were in use by the modem/router, the edge router would broadcast 1.1, if 2.1 were in use your edge router would broadcast 3.1, and so on. Some routers by default use values like 100.1.

You can fix this by first checking the ISP provided equipment. is it a modem/router combo? If yes you can set the router to bridged mode then adjust your edge router to whatever network you prefer (0.1, 1.1). If it's not a router and just a modem then you can skip the first bit and just adjust the network on the edge router.

On pro-sumer and enterprise type equipment you usually have to setup everything completely manually so it's possible when he set it up for you he forgot to enable DHCP for your 3.1 network. I don't own this router so I can only give you educated guesses that you'd be looking for something that says LAN or LAN Network. You could also look for anything that say IP or IP range. You may also want to search for the port being used on the router (though it may not be that advanced).

From there once you find network configuration settings you should see something like:

Start address: 192.168.3.1 (or .2)

End address: 192.168.0.255 (or .254)

DNS

2nd DNS

Sometimes there's a 3rd DNS.

Lease time.

etc.

If you come across those and find something like a check box that says DHCP or enable DHCP then that's what you're after.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:43 AM, Windows7ge said:

That definitely sounds like a DHCP issue. As for your address range you may be on a double NAT where your modem (provided by your ISP) may in itself contain a router. This would create it's own network. By plugging this edge router into that the network has to be incremented. (So if 0.1 were in use by the modem/router, the edge router would broadcast 1.1, if 2.1 were in use your edge router would broadcast 3.1, and so on. Some routers by default use values like 100.1.

You can fix this by first checking the ISP provided equipment. is it a modem/router combo? If yes you can set the router to bridged mode then adjust your edge router to whatever network you prefer (0.1, 1.1). If it's not a router and just a modem then you can skip the first bit and just adjust the network on the edge router.

On pro-sumer and enterprise type equipment you usually have to setup everything completely manually so it's possible when he set it up for you he forgot to enable DHCP for your 3.1 network. I don't own this router so I can only give you educated guesses that you'd be looking for something that says LAN or LAN Network. You could also look for anything that say IP or IP range. You may also want to search for the port being used on the router (though it may not be that advanced).

From there once you find network configuration settings you should see something like:

Start address: 192.168.3.1 (or .2)

End address: 192.168.0.255 (or .254)

DNS

2nd DNS

Sometimes there's a 3rd DNS.

Lease time.

etc.

If you come across those and find something like a check box that says DHCP or enable DHCP then that's what you're after.

Thanks so much for the advice. I logged into the router and found the setting on the specific port I had going to my network switch. It did say manual set up addresses. I changed it to dhcp and now I can’t connect to the internet. And I can’t even connect to the router. I manually set my ip to try and access it but it keeps saying no network. This is what happened last time. 

Gahh this is such a nightmare 

4 minutes ago, Jimmychinga said:

Thanks so much for the advice. I logged into the router and found the setting on the specific port I had going to my network switch. It did say manual set up addresses. I changed it to dhcp and now I can’t connect to the internet. And I can’t even connect to the router. I manually set my ip to try and access it but it keeps saying no network. This is what happened last time. 

Hmn. Check the IP the router may or may not have given to your computer. Is it within the same network/subnet as the routers IP? If you enable DHCP but it broadcasts a network that the router isn't in then you'll lose the ability to talk to it.

We can test that theory by giving yourself a 3.X IP again and see if you can connect to the router. If so you probably need to change the routers IP to within the network the DHCP pool is broadcasting.

In this case you would want to verify that the routers IP is 3.1 and that the DHCP service is advertising 3.2 to 3.254 before you enable it. For the heck of it you could hunt for the routers IP by checking 2.1, 1.1, & 0.1 networks. Enabling DHCP may have messed with the routers IP as well.

12 hours ago, Jimmychinga said:

You're not going to want to setup DHCP going from your router to your switch as that is the interface settings. 

DHCP should be setup on the port from your modem to your router - you want your router to pull an IP for itself and NAT

Manual IP should be setup on the port to the switch - You want that to be the port for the network

There will be separate DHCP pool settings throughout the GUI

Maybe NAT has to be setup? I dont deal with Ubiquiti