Switch vs Router

If I am streaming online games in twitch and youtube for 8 hours a day, which one is better in terms of speed, stable ping, connectivity persistency, a gigabit switch or a gigabit router? btw my internet speed is 120Mbps UP and DOWN. Please reply asap! Thank you!

Switch and router serve two completely different purposes. What do you have and what do you trying to achieve?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

6 minutes ago, WOLVERINE007 said:

If I am streaming online games in twitch and youtube for 8 hours a day, which one is better in terms of speed, stable ping, connectivity persistency, a gigabit switch or a gigabit router? btw my internet speed is 120Mbps UP and DOWN. Please reply asap! Thank you!

There won't be much of a difference, if any.

A switch will just allow you to connect more devices via ethernet, and some control over the network if it's a managed switch. A router will give you wifi access, allow more devices connected via ethernet, and generally include a firewall, as well as some network controls.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

14 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Switch and router serve two completely different purposes. What do you have and what do you trying to achieve?

i am trying to achieve smooth streams with stable pings in game!

A router basically connects your network to the internet via your modem.  It handles the network traffic routing and can assign IP addresses.  Most routers have a small switch built it, say 4 LAN ports (some have more some less) that connects your devices.

Switches are generally uses to add more Ethernet connections to your network.  So if your router has 4 Ethernet ports but you have 10 computers you wanted wired on the network, you add a switch to expand the ports that are available.

So if your router has all the ports you need to connect your devices, you generally don't need a separate switch. 

That is a very basic breakdown.