Zephyrus GX701 GWR Memory Conguration. ASUS doesn't even know...?

So I recently purchased a new laptop. After hours of researching and looking at reviews, I settled on the Asus Rog Zephyrus. Specifically, the GX701 GWR. My Model has the i7-9750H and 2070 Max-Q with 16 GB of DDR4 Memory. 

After playing around with it for a few weeks I began to see a few patterns. Some games and other programs loading times seemed a bit long. Longer then what you would expect for a laptop with this hardware. Now, I'll admit, I am extremely used my desktop (9700k/2080Ti/4000Mhz RAM) responsiveness and speed so initially, I thought nothing of it that my laptop was slower as should be expected.... Then I started looking at the memory. What I quickly found after looking through reviews, other buyers' comments, and on their webpage, is that each model seemed to be different in how their memory was installed and configured. (NOTE: It was only very very recently that they changed their main page to the 9750-H version of their Zephyrus. While I was looking into all this, it remained the 8750-H). They seemed to have models with 8GB Soldered & 8GB in the SODIMM Slot and other models had 16GB Soldered and nothing in the SODIMM slot. This begged the question; are the models with a soldered-single-16GB-module running in single-channel configuration? Well.. I set out to find out.

I contacted ASUS support. After having my ticket escalated three times and waiting about a week, they finally confirmed my unit had a 16GB Soldered unit. After escalating another time, I was finally told the single-16GB-module is in single-channel configuration. Wait.. really? It seems very suspicious that for a laptop at this price point they would only have these laptops set up in single-channel configuration.  When asked if installing another 16GB module could be installed in hopes of enabling dual-channel configuration, they said "Theoretically this should operate as dual-channel, however, we have not tested this so we are unable to confirm if this is the case."

Like... what? Does ASUS really not know how their own laptop works? I think this is a pretty big deal as there can be a good amount of performance lost if the 9th gen cpu zephyri went to single-channel from their 8th gen possibly at dual-channel configuration.

Or maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, idk. Has anyone had similar issues with their Zephyrus? Or tested adding a 2nd stick of RAM? I look forward to hearing your feedback!

I actually have the same issue with my recently bought laptop, in some memory intensive usage cases it performs even worse than my previous laptop with i7 4700HQ/12Gb DDR3 (dual channel).

I am wondering now if I should request refund and get a GX701GWR-EV024T (32Gb) instead. Could you please drop a message here once you add second stick?

As soon as I have an update for ya, I will post a reply.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:54 AM, JoshJdhs said:

I actually have the same issue with my recently bought laptop, in some memory intensive usage cases it performs even worse than my previous laptop with i7 4700HQ/12Gb DDR3 (dual channel).

I am wondering now if I should request refund and get a GX701GWR-EV024T (32Gb) instead. Could you please drop a message here once you add second stick?

I installed the additional stick of RAM now and it appears to be running in dual-channel configuration; according to CPU-Z. See Attached photo.

In case you're interested, this is the stick i bought. Same exact specifications of the soldered 16gb on the main board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6N8L3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dual channel memory.PNG

• 2 months later...

Hi man,

Was it hard to install the 16 GBs of RAM?

2nd question, is there another slot for additional storage and isn't the 2070 normal GPU not max-q?

I have this version: ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX701GW-EV007T Aluminum Black: Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 9750H Coffee Lake, 17.3" IPS 1920 × 1080 anti-glare, RAM 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, SSD 512GB,

• 3 months later...

Hi Azima,

I recently purchased a Zephyrus S GX701GWR - H6074T which is the i7 9750H / RTX2070 8GB / 240hz IPS Gsync / SSD 1TB / 16GB DDR4 version.

Also contemplating upgrading to dual channel memory. I just raised a ticket with ASUS Australia to find out the exact configuration of my notebook before I do the upgrade.

Could you please give us a follow up review of your RAM upgrade? Did you run some benchmarks before and after, and/or did you notice any kind of improvement in framerates for games?

I need the max performance out of this notebook for PUBG. Anyone else with experience with this notebook and upgrading to dual channel memory please chip in!

Cheers!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Commander_dan

On 1/31/2020 at 9:43 PM, commander_dan said:

I will be doing the upgrade to dual channel memory this week. Will post results.

How did the upgrade go? i was just thinking about this and checked the ol google and found this. I heard from another forum or something and he reckoned he got a 10% increase in 3dmark.