Windows 10 Has Caused Nothing But Pain

MastuhWaffles

I hate Microsoft, I really do, and after upgrading to windows 10 it has only caused problems.

First off, I thought it was finally time to update, and I managed to change over to Windows 10, I picked up Forza Horizon 4 to play with my friends.

Upon starting the game, it wouldn't work with my actual Microsoft Xbox One controller even though it is a game by Microsoft. I figured I needed to update the controller, and it told me to go into the xbox accessories app to update it. Upon doing so it locked my controller in DWM mode, which is update mode and has permanent bricked my controller. After calling the scum bags at Microsoft they refuse to give me a new one or fix my current one, as their software broke my perfectly functioning Xbox One controller. I tried to go in and change drivers and maybe bring it back to life, but nope, windows 10 likes to tell me what to do, and wont let me change drivers "because windows has found the best driver for your device".

I pulled out my older usb xbox controller and plugged it in, only to have it work perfectly, and also actually work in FH4 - a Microsoft game.

Well a new update comes around, and boom the new windows update breaks that controller. So then I was unable to play. Then another update rolled around, and sure enough my controller worked again. And finally this new update came out, and now it doesnt work again. Thanks Microsoft.

This isn't my only problem either, my performance in games has decreased, I am running all the appropriate and latest drivers, and in games like GTA5 they are horribly laggy now, and no matter the graphics setting performance sucks.

Overall I wish I would have never left windows 7, everything was working great and running well and now I just get annoyed every time I start my PC. It wont let me go back to windows 7, and even if I did, I have two broken controllers.

It's fascinating how MS hasnt gotten their stuff together. Dos was riddled with bugs (yeah I know they didnt make it), windows 3.1 had issues with multimedia, 95 was wishy washy, 98 was meh, dont get me started on ME, XP may have been the most stable, 7 was alright, 8 was trash, 8.1 was less trash, 9 is not for consumer use, and 10... oh windows 10. I understand that supporting many pieces of hardware is difficult, but your own controllers? really?

Anyways I do agree this latest update has caused by Ryzen system to have very infrequent stutters. I dont know what the heck its doing.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

6 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

It's fascinating how MS hasnt gotten their stuff together. Dos was riddled with bugs (yeah I know they didnt make it), windows 3.1 had issues with multimedia, 95 was wishy washy, 98 was meh, dont get me started on ME, XP may have been the most stable, 7 was alright, 8 was trash, 8.1 was less trash, 9 is not for consumer use, and 10... oh windows 10. I understand that supporting many pieces of hardware is difficult, but your own controllers? really?

Anyways I do agree this latest update has caused by Ryzen system to have very infrequent stutters. I dont know what the heck its doing.

I am also actually experiencing stuttering on my ryzen, didn't know this was a windows thing. Might also be my specs though. 

Windows 10, imo, is a good upgrade from 7, but pretty much I disabled stuff like One Drive and Cortana because I feel like they're just dead weight on me but overall, can't complain with windows 10 I guess. 

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

Did you connect it with Bluetooth?

That worked for me

✨FNIGE✨

I have never used windows 7 as I was an Apple fanatic for a sad part of 2010-2017, and then AMD showed me the way back to the PC world. But this latest Windows 10 update has been funny. Granted my windows install is 2 years old now, and I should probably format and reinstall it, which is something that I hadnt done on my mac OS machines. the longest I had an OS install on a mac was 5 years and it ran just fine.

BTW there is a hidden setting in windows 10 that allows you to "clean reinstall" windows 10 while maintaining your documents

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Just now, SlimyPython said:

Did you connect it with Bluetooth?

That worked for me

It's bricked. In DWM mode it will not turn on at all.

2 minutes ago, MastuhWaffles said:

Surely there's a way to recover?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, _Syn_ said:

Surely there's a way to recover?

If you have a way to recover it, that would be great. But otherwise it's just stuck in update mode. It wont turn on.

1 minute ago, MastuhWaffles said:

So... Do you have an XBox. If yes, does it work on it

✨FNIGE✨

So... Do you have an XBox. If yes, does it work on it

I do not.

Just now, MastuhWaffles said:

I do not.

ok... See if you can connect via USB

✨FNIGE✨

ok... See if you can connect via USB

I've tried. It's dead. Nothing I do no matter what turns it on. I've plugged it in USB, everything. It's bricked.

I've tried. It's dead. Nothing I do no matter what turns it on. I've plugged it in USB, everything. It's bricked.

Well... Thats a big oof, i think its completely dead

✨FNIGE✨

Well... Thats a big oof, i think its completely dead

It's not completely dead, it has the DWM software on it, which locks it in an unusable state. If I could force drivers onto it, I could prob bring it to life, but windows 10 wont let me.

7 minutes ago, MastuhWaffles said:

If you have a way to recover it, that would be great. But otherwise it's just stuck in update mode. It wont turn on.

Found this on Reddit, the replies might help you out

It's not completely dead, it has the DWM software on it, which locks it in an unusable state. If I could force drivers onto it, I could prob bring it to life, but windows 10 wont let me.

See if you can find a way on the internet, I wont be able to as of now because school

✨FNIGE✨

4 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Found this on Reddit, the replies might help you out

ripcontrol.png.3a73fdb2f64c741aca7bb9036acfce50.png

It sees the controller, but it's stuck in DFU mode which is update and can't turn on, no lights or anything no matter what.

It sees the controller, but it's stuck in DFU mode which is update and can't turn on, no lights or anything no matter what. 

Don't have any experience with a bricked Xbox controller, but you could make a new thread and somebody might help you out, Microsoft support is terrible to be honest, they don't know anything other than generic responses, Technical my A**

2 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Don't have any experience with a bricked Xbox controller, but you could make a new thread and somebody might help you out, Microsoft support is terrible to be honest, they don't know anything other than generic responses, Technical my A**

I guess I'll make a topic, I think I did awhile back and nobody replied.

I guess I'll make a topic, I think I did awhile back and nobody replied.

try to make a topic around 10-12 hours from now, that's usually when the Forum is most active

Learn anything new, MastuhWaffles?

I have just made the same mistake and am sat here with a newely bricked xbox one controller (DFU mode)

2 hours ago, RadioRaheem said:

This solution fixed it for me using a virtual machine, it takes a long time but it brings a dead controller back to life

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xbox-one-wireless-controller-charge-and-play-stuck/76c94c49-2565-4e9b-a261-b60a711af018?page=4

I couldnt get the VM working.