Weird GPU usage issue

icey

Hello!

I've recently experienced a pretty odd issue with my system after a system restart... 

I turned my computer on last night and logged into WoW only to find I had gone from 140fps to 15fps in Boralus (main city). I noticed in Afterburner GPU usage was at ~40% and temps were low. CPU usage and temps were normal and nothing else was out of the ordinary. 

After looking through all possible settings in nVidia experience, nVidia control panel, windows power settings, msi afterburner and BIOS I decided to look further into the game options (despite having changed nothing) and set DirectX12 back to DX11 which made a modest improvement by increasing GPU usage to ~60% but only moved me to 50fps. I've now played with all in-game settings and can't go beyond 65fps.

Specs:

5820k with corsaid h100i- stock clock
Windforce 980ti
Gigabyte x99 extreme
Samsung 970evo NVME PCI-E 500g
Monitor - Phillips 328M 1440p @ 140hz 

I did perform a benchmark on my system after this issue and the GPU stayed @ 99% during the 3d tests. Passmark servers were down this morning so I couldn't compare my system!

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

There has been a driver update for the 900 series, you might want to update your drivers and see if that solves the issue. It also could have been a windows update, some windows updates give particularly poor results on some GPUs. If you can see if you can go back an update if that's what happened.

9 minutes ago, icey said:

Hello!

I've recently experienced a pretty odd issue with my system after a system restart... 

I turned my computer on last night and logged into WoW only to find I had gone from 140fps to 15fps in Boralus (main city). I noticed in Afterburner GPU usage was at ~40% and temps were low. CPU usage and temps were normal and nothing else was out of the ordinary. 

After looking through all possible settings in nVidia experience, nVidia control panel, windows power settings, msi afterburner and BIOS I decided to look further into the game options (despite having changed nothing) and set DirectX12 back to DX11 which made a modest improvement by increasing GPU usage to ~60% but only moved me to 50fps. I've now played with all in-game settings and can't go beyond 65fps.

Specs:

5820k with corsaid h100i- stock clock
Windforce 980ti
Gigabyte x99 extreme
Samsung 970evo NVME PCI-E 500g
Monitor - Phillips 328M 1440p @ 140hz 

I did perform a benchmark on my system after this issue and the GPU stayed @ 99% during the 3d tests. Passmark servers were down this morning so I couldn't compare my system!

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

Did you go ahead and check thermals? It's possible it could be thermal throttling. But even at 40% usage you should be getting higher than 65 fps on wow. it was made over a decade ago. when was the last time you dusted the machine? If the GPU is doing well in the Benchmark ( whichever one you're using ) then I think we can rule out bad silicon. Keep in mind the 980ti was released in 2015 and is now 4 years old. Old hardware can go bad. As does everything! have you checked your drivers lately? That is the sort of thing that you wouldn't find on a 980ti but Even on my old R9 I was getting driver updates last year. 

16 minutes ago, mmyron said:

There has been a driver update for the 900 series, you might want to update your drivers and see if that solves the issue. It also could have been a windows update, some windows updates give particularly poor results on some GPUs. If you can see if you can go back an update if that's what happened.

I should have mentioned I only built this machine 2 weeks ago and used the latest drivers which are still the most recent version. Windows updates are disabled and have been since install.

12 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

Did you go ahead and check thermals? It's possible it could be thermal throttling. But even at 40% usage you should be getting higher than 65 fps on wow. it was made over a decade ago. when was the last time you dusted the machine? If the GPU is doing well in the Benchmark ( whichever one you're using ) then I think we can rule out bad silicon. Keep in mind the 980ti was released in 2015 and is now 4 years old. Old hardware can go bad. As does everything! have you checked your drivers lately? That is the sort of thing that you wouldn't find on a 980ti but Even on my old R9 I was getting driver updates last year. 

Yeah definitely doesn't appear to be a thermal issue looking at the temps however it really does look like throttling. As mentioned in my reply above I have only just built the machine and performed a clean install. The 980ti is brand new (from a few years ago).

6 minutes ago, icey said:

Yeah definitely doesn't appear to be a thermal issue looking at the temps however it really does look like throttling. As mentioned in my reply above I have only just built the machine and performed a clean install. The 980ti is brand new (from a few years ago).

what benchmarks did you run ?

8 minutes ago, icey said:

im just now realizing you're running at 1440p. 

while at this Resolution will be fine, try disabling any anti-aliasing. 

1 hour ago, Rob Walsh said:

what benchmarks did you run ?

The complete passmark benchmark

1 hour ago, Rob Walsh said:

im just now realizing you're running at 1440p. 

while at this Resolution will be fine, try disabling any anti-aliasing. 

All AA has been disabled and I also tried a lower resolution with the same results

9 minutes ago, icey said:

All AA has been disabled and I also tried a lower resolution with the same results

reset bios and cmos. 

3 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

reset bios and cmos. 

Done :(

Do you reckon it could be a temp issue with southbridge? 

Just now, Rob Walsh said:

reset bios and cmos. 

disable all oc

2 minutes ago, icey said:

Do you reckon it could be a temp issue with southbridge? 

send me a picture of your set-up ( inside on the mobo ) 

Edit: sorry bored at a dinner party. 

4 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

disable all oc

No OC present

4 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

send me a picture of your set-up ( inside on the mobo ) 

Edit: sorry bored at a dinner party. 

Not home at the moment either but let's just say the cable management is over the top to the point you won't see a single cable. 5 case fans all spinning @ full speed while troubleshooting.

5 minutes ago, icey said:

Not home at the moment either but let's just say the cable management is over the top to the point you won't see a single cable. 5 case fans all spinning @ full speed while troubleshooting.

i just want to take a look at your bridges my man.

14 minutes ago, icey said:

what case do you have my dude edit: and fans i want to know what the airflow looks like. also which pci-e do you use 

5 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

i just want to take a look at your bridges my man.

My bad will run home when I get the chance and take a pic for you. Since manufacturers love to cover everything on the PCB now I think you'll struggle to see much but will do it all the same

Just now, Rob Walsh said:

what case do you have my dude

Antec Nineteen hundred mate

1 minute ago, icey said:

im going to level with you. the only problem i can think of is gpu throttling. usually thats because of heat or age. 

where did you buy the 980ti? used ?

your motherboard has far more than adequate cooling as far as the bridges go and as long as all your fans are working they won't get hot enough to slow it down. I also need to add that as far as hardware goes the cpu isnt quite new either. it was developed in '14. does the screen flash any colors? or does it just give really bad fps? 

You might also try running everything in fullscreen ( or windowed borderless if youre in fullscreen ) that used to give me strange drops in FPS with my old set up. 

I was also thinking, you're on a 140hz panel.. why don't you try checking your refresh rate and placing it at 60hz. do you know how to change it? in advanced display properties. 

pretty simple.. right click on your desktop select display settings scroll down to advanced display settings then click on display adapter properties > monitor > screen refresh rate. 

i keep forgetting to add stuff. but you should also check and make sure youre not using a bad DVI cable. ( hdmi simply wont work either, but display port does. ) HDMI will lock your machine at 60hz no matter what. pins will be bent on the cable or not secured properly and there is always a chance that your card may have a pin stuck in it. 

IF all else fails im gonna have to go with bad GPU or its not able to draw enough power which is a psu problem. PSU going bad is FAR more common than gpu going bad. 

1 minute ago, Rob Walsh said:

i keep forgetting to add stuff. but you should also check and make sure youre not using a bad DVI cable. ( hdmi simply wont work either, but display port does. ) HDMI will lock your machine at 60hz no matter what. 

Using a new Display port cable