Replacing Intel Optane Memory with SSD

Ritish
Go to solution Solved by NunoLava1998,
2 hours ago, Ritish said:

So, can I install a M.2 PCIex4 ssd or I need to specifically choose M.2 PCIex2 ssd as the other model which includes ssd is of M.2 PCIex2 ssd?

You can probably install a PCIe x4 SSD, yes

Hi guys, my laptop is running an Intel Optane Memory of 16 GB in PCIex2. I don't want to use the Intel Optane Memory and would much prefer to use it for the extra storage it provides. Looking at the pictures of Optane Memory, it has a SATA connector in YT videos. Can I replace the Optane Memory with a PCIex4  SSD or do I need to specifically choose SATA SSD if I can use SSD over the already existing Optane Memory. My laptop: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop.  

Thanks.

You need to disable Optane Memory in Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) application and disable Optane in BIOS (if applicable). Then you can swap any drive the machine supports. HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop has an M.2 slot (SATA/PCIe) and a SATA drive caddy for storage expansion.

6 minutes ago, Ritish said:

Looking at the pictures of Optane Memory, it has a SATA connector in YT videos.

That's impossible, no Optane Memory or Optane SSD ships with SATA connector. Do you mean your laptop?

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

It does not use SATA, it uses M.2.

Also, why do you not want to use the Optane Memory? It's for caching your HDD. Your HDD will run much slower without it. Regular SATA or NVMe drives will perform much worse at caching than the Optane module.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Hi guys, my laptop is running an Intel Optane Memory of 16 GB in PCIex2. I don't want to use the Intel Optane Memory and would much prefer to use it for the extra storage it provides. Looking at the pictures of Optane Memory, it has a SATA connector in YT videos. Can I replace the Optane Memory with a PCIex4  SSD or do I need to specifically choose SATA SSD if I can use SSD over the already existing Optane Memory. My laptop: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop.  

Thanks.

So, can I install this SSD in my laptop?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Silicon-Power-512GB-Gen3x4-SU512GBP34A80M28UA/dp/B07NRM9L91/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m.2+ssd+512gb&qid=1561205426&s=gateway&sr=8-1

2 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

It does not use SATA, it uses M.2.

Also, why do you not want to use the Optane Memory? It's for caching your HDD. Your HDD will run much slower without it. Regular SATA or NVMe drives will perform much worse at caching than the Optane module.

Isn't it M.2 SATA and not M.2 PCIe?

Just now, Ritish said:

Isn't it M.2 SATA and not M.2 PCIe?

It's B+M which can fit into both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe slots. The drive itself is NVMe/PCIe, though.

9 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

It's B+M which can fit into both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe slots. The drive itself is NVMe/PCIe, though.

So, then I can install anyone of these instead of the Optane drive?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Silicon-Power-512GB-Gen3x4-SU512GBP34A80M28UA/dp/B07NRM9L91/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m.2+ssd+512gb&qid=1561205426&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com.au/1TB-Blue-NAND-M-2-SSD/dp/B073SBX6TY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m.2%2Bsata%2Bssd&qid=1561206798&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

2 minutes ago, Ritish said:

Yes, but be aware that it will be much worse for caching than the Optane. I'd recommend using it as your boot drive.

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Yes, but be aware that it will be much worse for caching than the Optane. I'd recommend using it as your boot drive.

That's the reason I want to switch to a faster SSD. The difference that the Optane Memory provides is not much noticeable. When I need to install OS in virtual machine, the HDD takes time and having a faster SSD will both increase boot speed and the installation process. That's why. 

Thanks for sticking and helping me out.

16 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

So, can I install a M.2 PCIex4 ssd or I need to specifically choose M.2 PCIex2 ssd as the other model which includes ssd is of M.2 PCIex2 ssd?

You can probably install a PCIe x4 SSD, yes