Hard Drive Issue...

hello all,

this is my first time asking question here on linustechtips :)

i have a question about hdd grinding noises...

i have two hdds stacked together with a usb non power hub connected to my macbook

when i copy files between them, those two hdds will make HUGE grinding noises and will copy slowly.

but then it will stop copying and disconnect a while later..

if i take out one hdd from it, it wont make any grinding noises and work well like nothing ever happened... 

i bought the usb hub because i needed more ports for work(you know macbook has only two usb ports haha)

my first guess is limited current making hdds spin slower therefore heads crashing to the disk... and then eventually fail?

im so dumb why did i do this....i shouldve just connected two hdds separately(and maybe all the other peripherals on one side)....

im now worried about the hdd that might have been damaged by many MANY head crashes...

im currently copying files that has been failed before to see if anything got damaged, .... nothing bad so far...

should i be worried?

thanks for any replies :)

37 minutes ago, beatdefender said:

usb non power hub

That is no good.

USB can't supply enough power for 2 harddrives. Use Powered Harddrive hubs if you want to use more than 1 drive.

If you want to see Harddrive health stats then use CrystalDiskInfo.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

That is no good.

USB can't supply enough power for 2 harddrives. Use Powered Harddrive hubs if you want to use more than 1 drive.

If you want to see Harddrive health stats then use CrystalDiskInfo.

hi thanks for reply!

i know i shouldve looked into it more before using it like that...haha

i mean the usb can put out 2.5a but i just found out one of my hdd requires 1.5a in specifications lol

with crystaldiskinfo i was able to find no problems whatsoever on my grinding drive, whilist just 2 reallocated sectors on my other hdd lol. maybe the grinding noise was from all that excessive head parking after all...

i tested and no data missing or corrupted either, so i guess im fine now lol