Freezing when loading Windows/Bootable USB

Kasger
Go to solution Solved by Kasger,

Yep, BIOS update seems to have solved ALL my issues! I've been running now for 30+ minutes and have rebooted a few times.
I can boot with or without XMP, OC etc. Everything seems to work!

Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with my new rig :/

It posts and I can get into BIOS just fine.
Whenever I try to boot on my SSD or a bootable USB with Windows on it, it freezes on the loading screen (see attachments).

What I've tried so far:
- Booting without any peripherals (only monitor connected)

- Booting with only 1 RAM stick (swapped out between two different sticks in attempts)
- Different USB slots for the bootable USB

- 2 different bootable USBs
- Literally bought a new CPU because I got the other one used and thought that it was the problem

My GPU + PSU + HDDs and SSD are from my old rig and still work fine in there.

Any ideas on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Update:
- Tried various bootable USBs created with Rufus (same freezes)
- Tried a CMOS reset (same freezes)

- Enabled XMP in bios.. Somehow this stops the freezes at the loading screen! I can actually boot into Windows... but only for 30-ish seconds, then the system completely freezes again... I can also boot on my USBs now, but same thing, freezes after 30-ish seconds :/

Update 2:

I'm actually able to boot into safemode and use the computer it seems. Just had it running for 10-ish minutes without freezing.
Tried to boot back into normal mode with the same freeze after about 30 seconds in.

Thinking I should reinstall windows, however when I boot from the USB drive and try to get to the cmd prompt to format the disk, it freezes :/

Setup:
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
Palit RTX 2060
Intel i7 9700K
2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 8 GB
Corsair HX750 750W 

20190620_140833.jpg

20190620_140358.jpg

Music Producer/DJ
Website • Soundcloud • Facebook • Instagram • Twitch

Try unplugging all drives except the one with windows on and see if it'll boot

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Update:
- Tried various bootable USBs created with Rufus (same freezes)
- Tried a CMOS reset (same freezes)

- Enabled XMP in bios.. Somehow this stops the freezes at the loading screen! I can actually boot into Windows... but only for 30-ish seconds, then the system completely freezes again... I can also boot on my USBs now, but same thing, freezes after 30-ish seconds :/

Music Producer/DJ

I am having, what seems like the same problem. XMP gets it to setup but freezes up before I can get through installation. Someone from microsoft reckons it's a problem with the MOBO as system passes POST fine, but you have indicated that this wasnt the issue for you.

13 minutes ago, AngusMalcolmSpence said:

I am having, what seems like the same problem. XMP gets it to setup but freezes up before I can get through installation. Someone from microsoft reckons it's a problem with the MOBO as system passes POST fine, but you have indicated that this wasnt the issue for you.

It could be, my mobo is new and I havent had it running yet...
Currently doin memtest on the ram.

But yes this sounds exactly like the same problem. Whats your setup?

Music Producer/DJ

33 minutes ago, Kasger said:

It could be, my mobo is new and I havent had it running yet...
Currently doin memtest on the ram.

But yes this sounds exactly like the same problem. Whats your setup?

This is what I'm trying to run:

Intel Core i7 9700K

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E

NVIDIA RTX2080

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

Corsair H100i

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe

Corsair RM650X

3 minutes ago, AngusMalcolmSpence said:

This is what I'm trying to run:

Intel Core i7 9700K

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E

NVIDIA RTX2080

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

Corsair H100i

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe

Corsair RM650X

Hmm okay, some of the same manufacturers and same CPU.
Please keep me updated on your troubleshooting, I'll update in here as well if I get any progress! 

Music Producer/DJ

Update:
I'm actually able to boot into safemode and use the computer it seems. Just had it running for 10-ish minutes without freezing.
Tried to boot back into normal mode with the same freeze after about 30 seconds in.

Thinking I should reinstall windows, however when I boot from the USB drive and try to get to the cmd prompt to format the disk, it freezes :/

Music Producer/DJ

26 minutes ago, Kasger said:

Update:

Thinking I should reinstall windows, however when I boot from the USB drive and try to get to the cmd prompt to format the disk, it freezes :/

Would you think you would be able to boot in safe mode if there was an issue with MOBO? I'll will try this when I get in and update. Will also test linux based OS, just to test whether it is MS.

3 minutes ago, AngusMalcolmSpence said:

Would you think you would be able to boot in safe mode if there was an issue with MOBO? I'll will try this when I get in and update. Will also test linux based OS, just to test whether it is MS.

Sooo... I just applied a BIOS update (since the notes stated that they added some DRAM compatibility).
Booted into Windows (non safemode) right now, watching some YT videos etc. for around 10 minutes now. Crossing my fingers this is the fix!

Music Producer/DJ

Yep, BIOS update seems to have solved ALL my issues! I've been running now for 30+ minutes and have rebooted a few times.

Music Producer/DJ

1 hour ago, Kasger said:

How did you update your bios?

3 hours ago, AngusMalcolmSpence said:

How did you update your bios?

Sorry for the late reply!

First of all, boot into BIOS and figure out what version you have now, just to make sure.
It's usually printed somewhere on the first screen you see.
If your BIOS version is less than v1005, you can try to update it. (Mine was v0805)

Now go here and download the latest BIOS update:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Latest version is v1005 (as of writing this), and in the notes i see "Improved DRAM compatibility", which might be able to solve your problem as it did for me!

After downloading, unzip the file and put it on a USB drive.
Boot into BIOS, find the tab named "Tools" and click "EZ Flash" (or something like that, you can probably Google it if you can't find it).

Follow the instructions and pick the file from the USB when asked.

Important:
Make sure that your system will NOT lose power during the update process, as this can break your motherboard!
Double check that the power cable is plugged properly in before updating, and don't update during thunderstorms ;)

I really hope this works for you as it did for me. Seeing the DRAM note on the driver for your board makes me think it might do!
Let me know if it works :)

Music Producer/DJ

54 minutes ago, Kasger said:

Sorry for the late reply!

First of all, boot into BIOS and figure out what version you have now, just to make sure.
It's usually printed somewhere on the first screen you see.
If your BIOS version is less than v1005, you can try to update it. (Mine was v0805)

Now go here and download the latest BIOS update:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Latest version is v1005 (as of writing this), and in the notes i see "Improved DRAM compatibility", which might be able to solve your problem as it did for me!

After downloading, unzip the file and put it on a USB drive.
Boot into BIOS, find the tab named "Tools" and click "EZ Flash" (or something like that, you can probably Google it if you can't find it).

Follow the instructions and pick the file from the USB when asked.

Important:
Make sure that your system will NOT lose power during the update process, as this can break your motherboard!
Double check that the power cable is plugged properly in before updating, and don't update during thunderstorms ;)

I really hope this works for you as it did for me. Seeing the DRAM note on the driver for your board makes me think it might do!
Let me know if it works :)

No worries no worries. Yes it works now - thank god, so many days trying to figure it out. Thanks for you help!

1 hour ago, AngusMalcolmSpence said:

No worries no worries. Yes it works now - thank god, so many days trying to figure it out. Thanks for you help!

Wooo, glad you got it working as well. I also spent the last two days on this, so relieved I got it working!

Music Producer/DJ

• 6 months later...

I am also having a similar situation, after initial install it freezes up on the boot of windows 10. I have done the bios update for my board and tried Linux and it booted fine into puppy Linux. But it won't work when installing Windows 10. I'm gonna install an NVME 500gig and install it there to see if that works. 

I5 9400f

Rog strix z390-h gaming 

DDR 4 2133 

Ssd 120gig

Rx480 4gig

600 watt psu