Help planning for new Ryzen Build

nebs

Hello LTT Forums,

With the new AMD Ryzen 3000  CPU's and Radeon 5000 Navi GPU's announced not too long ago, I planned and budgeted about a $1800 build containing the new AMD products. I have some questions and concerns specifically about choosing a motherboard and RAM for this build. Below you will see my chosen list of parts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X -$500 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 ~$75
MOBO: ??? (Looking at the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro or the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi)~$200
RAM: ??? (Looking for 2x8 sticks with the fastest speed possible for about $100 and also fits my black and red theme, no need for rgb, looking at the G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3600) ~$100
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD ~$120

Storage 2: Crucial - MX500 1TB SSD ~$120
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition -$500
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower (Red & Black) -$77
Case Fan: 2x Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 120 mm -$14
PSU: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750W 80+Gold Certified Fully Modular ~$110

What I'm looking for in a motherboard is obviously the X570 chipset support with at least one PCI-e 4.0 16x Expansion Slot and one Gen4 M.2 Slot. Things like ports for USB Type-C and On-board Wifi and Bluetooth would be nice too, but anything that would fit a $200 budget.

For my RAM, I'm trying to find a pair of 8 GB DDR4 DIMMs with at the very minimum a speed of 3200 MHz. If someone could also explain to me how to find RAM that is compatible with Ryzen CPUs and especially the new X570 Chipset, that would be much appreciated. Things like RGB are not necessary, as I'm looking for the highest RAM speed and a low cast latency, however DIMMs that fit the color scheme of red and black would also be nice.

If there's anything else about this build that I'm messing up or anything that you have questions about, feel free to guide me in the right direction, as this is my first mid-tier build that I've ever done. Thanks in advance.

-Nebs

Too early to have any idea to which mobo to buy and all that, id wait for all the motherboards to be announced, but ryzen compatible RAM is easy to find, I think AMD made a whole list of everything compatible

1 minute ago, _CrisisRogue said:

Too early to have any idea to which mobo to buy and all that, id wait for all the motherboards to be announced, but ryzen compatible RAM is easy to find, I think AMD made a whole list of everything compatible

Everything? Where can I find this list and is it updated to be compatible with the new chipset?

2 minutes ago, nebs said:

Everything? Where can I find this list and is it updated to be compatible with the new chipset?

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf that's the list, and it works with all ryzen gens i think

edit: it doesnt have the new speeds (3933 and whatever) so id just google "(model/company) (speed)MHz DDR4 ryzen compatibility"

Edited by _CrisisRogue

3 minutes ago, _CrisisRogue said:

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf that's the list, and it works with all ryzen gens i think

So would this mean that the highest speed supported by AMD CPU's is 3200? Because I've read on AMD's webpage for the 3900X that the CPU can run RAM at 3200 MHz right out of the box, but can it support higher? Maybe I'm just confused because this list was last updated in June 2017.

What is this pc going to be used for ? Hopefully more than gaming if going with a 16 core cpu ?

Just now, lee32uk said:

What is this pc going to be used for ? Hopefully more than gaming if going with a 16 core cpu ?

16 core? I thought the 3900X was just 12 cores. Anyway, yes, I plan on using this rig for not only gaming, but for 1080p60fps livestreaming and video editing. :D

Get the 650W because its a single rail but you can prove wrong If it's not a bad thing on a unit more than 650W.

6 minutes ago, nebs said:

16 core? I thought the 3900X was just 12 cores. Anyway, yes, I plan on using this rig for not only gaming, but for 1080p60fps livestreaming and video editing. :D

Yeah my bad just checked and it is the 3950X that is 16 cores.