Laptop for video editing

Hi!

Sorry if I did put the topic in the wrong section.

But! I have some trouble navigating around the jungle of laptops. I'm looking for a laptop to edit videos (Adobe+Resolve). I have a budget of ~3500 USD (30k Norwegian). Been looking at the Dell XPS, or should I go for something else? In general I'm looking for value 4 cash. 

Thanks if anyone could help me ✌️

Any preference on weight and battery life? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

It's always nice with a nice and mobile design, but functionality comes first. But max 5-6 lb. Always nice to have good battery, but that will probably be drain fast while rendering and so on. Most important is that it run premiere, protools etc.  As smooth as possible for a laptop. AC plug is never to far away. 

I have been looking at this one:

(Dell XPS 15 9570)

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-i9-8950HK-Anti-Reflective-Compatible-Briefcase/dp/B07DZ5Q8P5

Note:

Are kind of limited to buy from Norwegian stores, but the US Amazon prices are almost the same.

10 minutes ago, Snaxxer said:

Always nice to have good battery, but that will probably be drain fast while rendering and so on.

So you're fine with 3-4 hrs battery life in light loads?

4 minutes ago, Snaxxer said:

Note:

Are kind of limited to buy from Norwegian stores, but the US Amazon prices are almost the same.

Are you buying in your country or through Amazon?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

55 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

So you're fine with 3-4 hrs battery life in light loads?

Are you buying in your country or through Amazon?

Yeah, 3-4 should in general be no problem.

Buying in my own country, because of a law-inforced extended guarantee in Norway.

3 minutes ago, Snaxxer said:

Buying in my own country, because of a law-inforced extended guarantee in Norway.

Could you provide some links of online stores in your country that sell laptops?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Could you provide some links of online stores in your country that sell laptops?

Www.Komplett.no 

5 minutes ago, Snaxxer said:

Www.Komplett.no 

https://www.dustinhome.no/ 

They are kinda the big one, also elkjop.no and power.no. buy they mostly targeting private customer. Not equipment in what we could call enterprise/pro. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

MacBook Pro and switch to FCPX

Considered MacBook Pro, but I feel I could get more computer for the money by going for a windows. Premiere (+AVID MC) is the only option for me. It more compatible, when working in projects since premiere is the most used software here. 

1 hour ago, Snaxxer said:

Considered MacBook Pro, but I feel I could get more computer for the money by going for a windows. Premiere (+AVID MC) is the only option for me. It more compatible, when working in projects since premiere is the most used software here. 

Fair enough.

for 3 grand you could be looking at Razer machines and things with good dedicated graphics. Is there anything screen wise you require like High colour accuracy or 4K? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Fair enough.

for 3 grand you could be looking at Razer machines and things with good dedicated graphics. Is there anything screen wise you require like High colour accuracy or 4K? 

Okey! Nice to have 4k but not a demand, would put colour accuracy over 4k (Nice to have if I'm also working on photos). But lager jobs use a dedicated grading workstation. Key feature I'm looking for is a mobile machine that can handle lager video files. Using the SONY fs7 and BM pocket cinema 4k

19 minutes ago, Snaxxer said:

Okey! Nice to have 4k but not a demand, would put colour accuracy over 4k (Nice to have if I'm also working on photos). But lager jobs use a dedicated grading workstation. Key feature I'm looking for is a mobile machine that can handle lager video files. Using the SONY fs7 and BM pocket cinema 4k

So a USBC/Thunderbolt connection should be a must if you're transferring 4K files? Donty wanna be doing that over USB A do we. 

37 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

How about this?

https://www.dell.com/no-no/shop/bærbare-pc-er-fra-dell/alienware-m15/spd/alienware-m15-laptop/n00awm1529?view=configurations

Navigating a Norwegian site without speaking it is difficult btw.

I know think I mentioned above that links to Amazon is good. Prices in US & A and Norway is pretty much the same on electronics. But as long I could get a link to a recommended model I'm happy! 

What makes the Alienware better than Dell XPS and razer?

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

So a USBC/Thunderbolt connection should be a must if you're transferring 4K files? Donty wanna be doing that over USB A do we. 

Thunderbolt/USB C with out doubt, also if a there is 10gb network port. That would help.

1 hour ago, Snaxxer said:

I know think I mentioned above that links to Amazon is good. Prices in US & A and Norway is pretty much the same on electronics. But as long I could get a link to a recommended model I'm happy! 

What makes the Alienware better than Dell XPS and razer?

Which spec XPS have you been looking at? 

Razer QC isn’t the best. You could get a Blade 15 with a 4K OLED screen and a 2080 for £3150 though. Only had 16GB of ram. 

Razer has the better screen, Alienware has more Ram and I’m guessing better thermals. 

Been looking at this XPS: https://amzn.to/2F06eLN

But have some concerns about turbo throtling (or what it's called).

Anyway, have some over general knowledge. But aren't a hardware guru on PC. So where should I put the cash? CPU, GPU and RAM. 

10 hours ago, Snaxxer said:

So where should I put the cash? CPU, GPU and RAM. 

Choosing a good model is also important - XPS 15 9570 has many issues

Will get back to you ASAP

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

All with CFL-H/HR i7

True mobile workstation:

Lenovo Thinkpad P52, P1 (cooling not that great due to thinness)

Dell Precision 7530

HP Zbook 15 G5

2070:

Multicom Kunshan PB51RF

Asus GX502GW - GPU might be overkill

2060, 1660TI:

Lenovo Legion Y740 15 (optional 2070MQ)

Asus GL504GV

Multicom Kunshan N950TD, NH50RD/RC

HP Omen 15-dc

MSI GE63 8SE

Asus G531GV/GU - no reviews

GTX:

Asus GL504GM

Lenovo Legion Y530

HP Omen 15-dc

MSI GP63 8RE, GE63 8RE

Thin and light:

Asus GX531GW

Acer Predator Triton 500

MSI GS75 8SF/8SE

MSI GS65 8SF/8SE

Multicom Kunshan P970RN, P960RN/EN/RF/RC

Ultrabook:

HP Spectre x360 15

Asus UX580GE

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

All with CFL-H/HR i7

True mobile workstation:

Lenovo Thinkpad P52, P1 (cooling not that great due to thinness)

Dell Precision 7530

HP Zbook 15 G5

2070:

Multicom Kunshan PB51RF

Asus GX502GW - GPU might be overkill

2060, 1660TI:

Lenovo Legion Y740 15 (optional 2070MQ)

Asus GL504GV

Multicom Kunshan N950TD, NH50RD/RC

HP Omen 15-dc

MSI GE63 8SE

Asus G531GV/GU - no reviews

GTX:

Asus GL504GM

Lenovo Legion Y530

HP Omen 15-dc

MSI GP63 8RE, GE63 8RE

Thin and light:

Asus GX531GW

Acer Predator Triton 500

MSI GS75 8SF/8SE

MSI GS65 8SF/8SE

Multicom Kunshan P970RN, P960RN/EN/RF/RC

Ultrabook:

HP Spectre x360 15

Asus UX580GE

WOW! That's a dedicated helper! Thanks for listing up some options ? are they listed as you would recommend? If so, would you go for a workstation? Again thank you, and sorry for the fuss.

Personally I don't recommand getting a "gaming" or regular thin-and-light machine for pro works.

Thinkpad is a good choice. P1 can go up to Quadro P2000 4GB and P52 have P3200 6GB.

P1 have optional 4K 10-bit (8+2) screen, with Dolby Vision HDR and 100% Adobe RGB.

P52 also have an optional screen, it is 4K, not 10bit, not HDR, but with multi-touch. Also 100% Adobe RGB.

They have Xeon processors, but I think the default Core i7 should be OK.

They also have international warranty services, 4G LTE options, A LOT OF I/O ports, and the best notebook keyboard on the market.

I would recommand you choose one of these based on the weight and performance. It's really your choice.

The 17.3 inch model, P72, have P4200 8GB and P5200 16GB options, but with Xeon CPU only.

4K, 8+2bit, 400 nits, 100% Adobe RGB screen.

You can also check the HP Zbooks. They have a better screen, but other specs are not as good as Thinkpads.

All of them should be in your budget. The P52 with i7 8850H, 64GB memory, 512G SSD, 1TB HDD, P3200 6GB, 4K screen and Win10 Pro is about 3100 USD. For 3500 USD I think that you can choose an upgrade to 128GB memory or 1TB SSD.

FYI: The reason I recommand the Quadro cards is not the performance, but the 10-bit color depth.

Although the laptop screen is not true 10-bit, you can use another professional 10-bit monitor in home or studio.

5 hours ago, Snaxxer said:

would you go for a workstation?

depends on your usage

Desktop specs:

Spoiler