Microservice Practice Project?

BrownZeus

Hey Folks!

So I have a new job (yay me!) my position is in software engineering, part of an agile team, and I'm more specifically a "Performance Engineer" (tbh not as fancy as it sounds). However since I don't always need to be focused on performance, I'm expected to, and I also want to, perform your normal development tasks, as in choosing something off the backlog I can actually perform. So that means learning to create microservices for my specific job/project. I'm already on my way for learning Spring and Spring Boot, and my account manager would like me to develop a small demo application using microservice architecture so that he can go to our client and show that I'm of use outside of performance testing and tell other engineers their work isn't meeting requirements. However I don't know what to make! I just need something small but robust enough to work towards to show that I'm capable of the work at least a little. So my fellow nerds, what demo app should I work on? Googling this only gives examples of how the architecture works vs a monolithic app

How about an app to track the backlog of projects? Tell you how many days behind the team is, etc. :P

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

6 minutes ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

How about an app to track the backlog of projects? Tell you how many days behind the team is, etc. :P

Its a dick move and I love it cause these folks were behind when I got here, they didn't even know I was coming lol

1 hour ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

Depend how it works where he's at.

Me for each day of work we get an average of 6 days of work extra added to the list. We are at least 1 year backlogged. We come back fresh every now and then when we deny everything older than 2 years LOL