Gigabyte B450 Not Recognizing GPU Fan Speed

This is a bit of a weird one.

I've recently built a new PC (but retained the same GPU, PSU and storage). I've got an AMD 2600 in a Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI with 1x16GB Team Vulcan 2400Mhz RAM, Asus R9 390 Strix and an 850w Silverstone PSU. Full specs listed on my profile. A clean and legitimate install of Windows was put onto the new machine.

All was working great until I noticed a weird render speed ramping type effect when playing games (Overwatch, Borderland Pre-Sequel, Apex Legends). It would happen very rarely and I just thought it may be the GPU getting a bit old - but then it wouldn't stop happening one day. And then, I found out why:

By using both HWMonitor and Radeon Wattman, I found that the system couldn't detect the GPU's fan speed/rpm. Both programs report 0 RPM (see attached images). Most of the time HWMonitor didn't even show a Fan section for the GPU (see attached images). This means that the GPU has a fixed fan RPM (which doesn't change at all when under load meaning it could overheat). I have received messages multiple times saying the card had exceeded its maximum temperature threshold. Wattman still allows me to manually control the fan speed to a fixed RPM (I assume it simply changes the voltage going to the fans) but the RPM will not adjust automatically depending on temperature as it usually would. 

What I tried in order to fix it:

- Restoring default settings in Adrenaline (AMD's graphic driver)

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Adrenaline multiple times

- Resetting BIOS of mobo

- Updating and rolling back BIOS of mobo (and reinstalling drivers)

- Resitting the GPU, RAM and CPU

- Leaving the system unplugged for an hour and resetting CMOS

- Installing older versions of drivers/Adrenaline

- Booting in Safe mode (couldn't view any GPU info in Safe mode)

How I identified the problem after attempting to fix it:

I took the GPU out of this system and placed it into a different system (Intel 1150). I installed the same drivers/Adrenaline. Both HWMonitor and Radeon Wattman detected the RPM and would automatically adjust it according to temperature (when the card was under load it raised the fan speed to compensate for the additional heat, as one would expect). No images of this but it was all working as intended.

I put it back into the original system and the issue persisted.

I honestly have completely run out of ideas of how to solve this. Any ideas or solutions are most welcome!

Please let me know if you think this may be a mobo fault. If it is, I'll contact Gigabyte for an RMA immediately. I'm just not sure that they'll see it that way which is why I haven't contacted them yet.

I don't have any other GPUs I can test this with on hand.

20190606_032542.jpg

20190606_032608.jpg

20190606_032613.jpg

Why 1*16gb st 2400? Ryzen benefits loads by having fast ram. Would suggest a 2*8GB 3000or3200mhz kit 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

On 6/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, Stormseeker9 said:

Why 1*16gb st 2400? Ryzen benefits loads by having fast ram. Would suggest a 2*8GB 3000or3200mhz kit 

While I agree with you that is irrelevant to OPs post.

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

1 minute ago, Boinbo said:

While I agree with you that is irrelevant to OPs post.

TrueC, but worth pointing out 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

On 6/5/2019 at 1:46 PM, Stormseeker9 said:

TrueC, but worth pointing out 

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

9 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Simply because the faster ram was too expensive. Only using one stick as I plan to upgrade to 32gb in the future (mobo only has 2 slots).

On 6/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, LimeCordil said:

Simply because the faster ram was too expensive. Only using one stick as I plan to upgrade to 32gb in the future (mobo only has 2 slots).

Maybe your bios is out of date?

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

Just now, Boinbo said:

Maybe your bios is out of date?

Tried on latest and also tried rolling back

20 minutes ago, LimeCordil said:

What I tried in order to fix it:

- Restoring default settings in Adrenaline (AMD's graphic driver)

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Adrenaline multiple times

- Resetting BIOS of mobo

- Updating and rolling back BIOS of mobo (and reinstalling drivers)

- Resitting the GPU, RAM and CPU

- Leaving the system unplugged for an hour and resetting CMOS

- Installing older versions of drivers/Adrenaline

- Booting in Safe mode (couldn't view any GPU info in Safe mode)

On 6/5/2019 at 1:58 PM, LimeCordil said:

Tried on latest and also tried rolling back

Hmm, you've done a lot of what I would recommend, idk. Maybe your fans aren't compatible with your Mobo, or they're plugged in wrong?

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

Just now, Boinbo said:

Hmm, you've done a lot of what I would recommend, idk. Maybe your fans aren't compatible with your Mobo, or they're plugged in wrong?

When I was transferring the card to the other system, I double checked the fan connectors on the card. All was normal. Everything worked fine and was detected fine in this other system and the problem persisted when I put the card back into the new system.

23 minutes ago, LimeCordil said:

How I identified the problem after attempting to fix it:

I took the GPU out of this system and placed it into a different system (Intel 1150). I installed the same drivers/Adrenaline. Both HWMonitor and Radeon Wattman detected the RPM and would automatically adjust it according to temperature (when the card was under load it raised the fan speed to compensate for the additional heat, as one would expect). No images of this but it was all working as intended.

Give DDU a try, reboot in safe mode and run DDU, then reinstall Radeon Adrenaline.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

8 hours ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Give DDU a try, reboot in safe mode and run DDU, then reinstall Radeon Adrenaline.

This got me excited. I thought this may be the solution I've been looking for.

It didn't work :,(

• 3 years later...

Hello, I have a same or atleast similar problem and I wonder if you did solve it. Please respond. Thanks