CS:GO High CPU Usage [Please Help]

Please help. I have tried everything to fix this. I start CS:GO and it is fine until I join a map. Then my CPU goes as high as it can. It was perfectly fine up until three days ago. I was changing my sensitivity settings and then it broke. I reinstalled the game and still nothing.

My computer is:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: GTX 770

HDD: WD Black 2 TB

As far as I'm aware, that's normal behaviour for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive as the engine it uses is heavily CPU-intensive and biased towards CPU compared to GPU, which is why having highly-clocked Intel CPUs is best for games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

5 minutes ago, pandagamin said:

Then my CPU goes as high as it can. It was perfectly fine up until three days ago. I was changing my sensitivity settings and then it broke. I reinstalled the game and still nothing.

Define 'broke', as in, what was the usage before you changed settings, and also what settings you changed in particular.

Additionally, are you experiencing any FPS drops or temperature increases?

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

As far as I'm aware, that's normal behaviour for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive as the engine it uses is heavily CPU-intensive and biased towards CPU compared to GPU, which is why having highly-clocked Intel CPUs is best for games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

Define 'broke', as in, what was the usage before you changed settings, and also what settings you changed in particular.

Additionally, are you experiencing any FPS drops or temperature increases?

My CPU Usage used to be around 20% now it is at 85-98%. Temperature stays the same although my game does drop in frames.

17 minutes ago, pandagamin said:

Please help. I have tried everything to fix this. I start CS:GO and it is fine until I join a map. Then my CPU goes as high as it can. It was perfectly fine up until three days ago. I was changing my sensitivity settings and then it broke. I reinstalled the game and still nothing.

My computer is:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: GTX 770

HDD: WD Black 2 TB

CS:GO is a fairly CPU heavy game, it takes my 8700K from 20% CPU Usage up to 40-50% usage easily. (1440p low settings. Full specs in my signature.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

CS:GO is a fairly CPU heavy game, it takes my 8700K from 20% CPU Usage up to 40-50% usage easily. (1440p low settings. Full specs in my signature.)

My computer did that too up until last week. It now goes to 90%+ no matter what I do. The thermals are fine. I have no clue why this is.

3 minutes ago, pandagamin said:

My computer did that too up until last week. It now goes to 90%+ no matter what I do. The thermals are fine. I have no clue why this is.

Have you installed or enabled any overlays? (Discord? Steam? etc...) or any other programs?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I wouldn't be shocked if you just turned off V-sync which would have set your fps to your monitors refresh rate. CS:GO normal can hit upwards of 200 to 400 fps no problem for a ok graphics card (1060-1070 ish) and say you use 20% cpu usage and have locked 60 FPS this would mean you have .33% cpu per FPS so if you had 300 FPS you might have 100% cpu usage. This assumes that everything scales linearly and there is no gpu bottleneck and so on, so if anything i think theres nothing wrong.

Having v sync on is only helps with one thing and that's screen tearing, the downsides for this in games like CS:GO is they add in a small delay that is noticeable for some perceptive people and can make the difference between a kill and no kill.

1 hour ago, pandagamin said:

Did you have multi core rendering disabled in CSGO settings?

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!