CPU Temperatures

Some contemplations on temperatures while noticing a colour warning legenda in SIV ( system information viewer )

Is this how big shots look upon us in their aircooled rooms.... cpu's are only safe to use between 0 and 20 degrees celcius?
Do i really need to fear for those temperatures or is it just the same as all those old mercedes riding through the Sahara?

What is the point into buying a cheap AOI when the product doesn't contain another cooling element other then wind?

ScreenShot_20190602153427.png

Gigabyte's software team generally seems to have no idea what the hell they're doing if their software for my Z97X-Gaming 5 is any indication. I wouldn't really think about temps too much unless shit's getting into the high 80s.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

36 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Gigabyte's software team generally seems to have no idea what the hell they're doing if their software for my Z97X-Gaming 5 is any indication. I wouldn't really think about temps too much unless shit's getting into the high 80s.

Well i can't say i have really a lot of problems with gigabyte thus far. This is my first venture with them as a company and so far it seems good enough to contemplate about buying an navi from them as a company.

Anyway i'm trying to build and use my p.c. as picture perfect as possible and with the summer calling my first job on monday will be to aquire a new 250w tdp cpu cooler. Super water cooled systems are out of reach of my budget both in value during purchase and value during running so i'm hoping this will be an good alternative next to decreasing settings in games and using ram and cpu etc at lower or nomal rates ( ram at 2133 mhz and the cpu without precision boost )

btw i did hear a lot about their software being not up to par with its competitors which i found weird to hear since especially their aorus products rivalling or being even more expensive then rog strix products from asus

Well the thing is there are so many factors most testers dont account for when recommending certain cooling solutions.

If you live in a arid environment for example, i dont see say Linus, Jay or tech Jesus himself Steve take that as a factor.

Motherboard issues aside of course.

thank god there are still old games that look and run terrific on new system

Shogun 2  Total War Screenshot 2019.06.02 - 18.18.52.16.png

In any case dont fuss with temps, I use the stock wraith cooler on my Ryzen 7 1700 and at idle i hover around 35 to 40 degrees Celsius with a max temp at around 60 degrees on idle.

Considering my room temp is 20 degrees celcius and no air conditioner righht now and my phanteks p400s not the best case for airflow this is not a bad temp to be at.

As long as you dont go above 80 degrees you are fine and keep in mind certain software isnt as fine tuned for ryzen as others.

Also you may wish to update your BIOS, I know some BIOS revisions had bugs related to reporting high temps on Ryzen and giving false positives.

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

In any case dont fuss with temps, I use the stock wraith cooler on my Ryzen 7 1700 and at idle i hover around 35 to 40 degrees Celsius with a max temp at around 60 degrees on idle.

Considering my room temp is 20 degrees celcius and no air conditioner righht now and my phanteks p400s not the best case for airflow this is not a bad temp to be at.

As long as you dont go above 80 degrees you are fine and keep in mind certain software isnt as fine tuned for ryzen as others.

Also you may wish to update your BIOS, I know some BIOS revisions had bugs related to reporting high temps on Ryzen and giving false positives.

I'm on F6 and once again yes i'm fussing with temperatures. 

80 degrees .. maybe for the old hardware. The new hardware is so much smaller and maybe more sensitive.. its not for nothing the ryzen starts trottling at 50 degrees and i'm very positive i read somewhere that the new rtx brand trottles around 55 degrees C.
And as an normal intel user i'm obligated to ensure i can report very good results in a year of 5 when i'm returning back to intel again ;)

I have never been over 55 degrees so far with my ryzen 2600 and i would like to keep it that way. i could change my 1060 to a 1050Ti since that is almost 10 degrees difference. The 1060 barely holds its self at 41 degrees with a fanload of around 30% while the 1050Ti hovers around 29 degrees C in similair conditions ( and with 30% fanload ).

Now i'm sure the system cooler i'm using absorbs a lot of heat from the gpu thus 'interfering' with cpu temperatures. For that reason alone i'm planning that 250W exhaust cpu fan and with me planning on buying the new 5700 or maybe even the 5800 if that is released i can be certain to expect even higher temperatures unless i buy that card with a closed watercooling solution.

My system also seems to be much more responsive if i use 2133 mhz as ram speed and try medium to low settings while gaming afterwards.

In that respect ryzen, or maybe better said my ryzen and hardware combination seems to be less then optimal. If i combine XMP with a AMD balanced power plan ( ryzen cpu at 3800/3900 all the time ) of the full power plan ( ryzen at 3900 + some modifactions to the pcie ) i'm bound to experience somewhat sluggish behaviour now and then and maybe even crashes. This was in the winter period where temperatures should be low enough to stress the system out for a bit.

All these observations are something i try to avoid. i'm not saying that it is destructive but i do know that it is less then optimal. Hence my earlier musings about why the cooling department has only two choices atm....  With how the IT works you know there is a double everything with every cycle.... cpu coolers with their own freeze capability is an invention long overdue! ( for an affordable price )

Eh again i wouldn't fuss about temps.

The Ryzen 5 2600 can take temps up to 96 degrees Celsius.

The processor will throttle at around 80 or so

As for any performance dips you are experiencing right now I would put my focus on other areas.

Ryzen pairs best with fast RAM so if you got DDR4 2400 up that to at least DDR4 2600.

Make sure the bios is up to date

And disable XMP as its unstable on some systems.

Would you mind telling us what case you are using? what cooling methods?

Methinks your issues may not lie in the areas you think they do, perhaps a better case or better fans is in your future?

@MadmanRB

The core boost clock will only deliver 3,9 ghz at 50 degrees after that you see it slowly dropping. Since i've never been warmer then around 53 degrees C based on numbers delivered by afterburner during gaming, i don't know how far it will drop... 3,8 ghz is atleast what's delivered at 53 degrees Celcius 

cpu r5 2600

memory vengeance xmp @ 3000 

Case is be quiet silentbase 601
the case came with 2 140 mm fans 1 inlet 1 outtake
i added 4 bequiet 120 mm fans. 1 at the bottom ( might try and place another one there too ) 1 above the 140 mm in the front and 2 left upper case as exhausts
i believe the fans are all silentwings
cpu fan is the 160W tdp be quiet cpu all systemfan shadowrock tf2 .... i believe that baby is better suited in a smaller case

setup.jpg

Yeah the cooler may be the weakness here, the fan config is fine though I would make some changes.

The fan at the bottom to cool the hard drives is a bit redundant, i would move that to the roof (that case seems to support 3 120mm fans on the roof according to my info)

make sure the front fans are set to intake as well and perhaps place them higher (you may wish to swap them for 140mm fans though)

remember the goal is to have good airflow so larger fans may be suited for the front, so the case came with 2 from 140mm fans i would place those in the front while leaving a 120 for exhaust until you can replace it later on.

Any 120mm fans can go on the top set them to exhaust so you can have airflow going in and take hot air out.

Again that hard drive fan is redundant, i know hard drives can get toasty but having that fan there may not do you any favors for airflow.

As for the cooler situation you could always swap for the dark rock cooler.

I have a very similar situation, while i don't live in an arid climate i live in a small bedroom and it gets dang hot in here.

My Phanteks P400s is known not to have the worlds best airflow so i got two 140mm fans in the front, two more on the roof and a 120mm in the rear.

On a hot day at idle i am around 40 degrees max when idle going as high as 60 when gaming.

Sure i dont have max over-clocks going on there but i did overclock to 3.5ghz and that shifted my machines temps in many ways.

Not to mention the added heat my GPU gives off as that is set to its overclock, I got a evga GTX 1070ti FTW silent prto GPU that can be overclocked to the power of a GTX1080 and by golly does it pull off some heat.

I can achieve at least 75 degrees Celsius and thats pretty dang hot.

@MadmanRB

I'm actually using the fan as is shown in the picture .... figured with the heatsinks and all, might as well blow some extra air into that direction!

thank you for the suggestions.. the replacement 140 mm fan is something to take into consideration

first to see if the darkrock will fit and how it operates

Funny.jpg