Silly idea question

JamesHewitt

I’m working through my bachelor degree in music currently and one of my friends who is an insane composer and arranger is having an issue and I’d like to get some more ideas into ways of fixing it.

in short, most people don’t have access to things such as an orchestra so they’ll use sounds from software and soundbanks. We both own some but he’s invested in far more, some such as Hans Zimmer strings involves 190gb of audio. So if you imagine how large a full orchestra is it takes a while to load and isn’t the fastest to respond even with an SSD.

I then looked into m.2 to thunderbolt for a faster solution which would allow around 1.3gbs compared to an external ssd at 500mb ish.

Anyway weird idea part, I have an external  gpu enclosure in my house and that’s pcie, so would a pcie to m.2 adapter work fine with it? I was looking at thunderbolt to m.2 and they seem to be around £160+ so as a free alternative I’m curious. Unfortunately I’m far to busy currently to test this myself.

Also if anyone has other ideas into faster external storage which doesn’t break the bank I’d be appreciative

James 

keep in mind that most boxes run over thunderbolt, which is a 4x link

don't go too creazy on it, okay?

and is it for a laptop then?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

keep in mind that most boxes run over thunderbolt, which is a 4x link

don't go too creazy on it, okay?

and is it for a laptop then?

Correct, top spec MacBook minus i9

Just now, JamesHewitt said:

Correct, top spec MacBook minus i9

yeah... then something along the lines of thunderbolt will probably be your best bet