So, a couple days ago, my grandmother gave me a Compaq Presario CQ5600F that she was given from job. The desktop uses a really bad "AMD Athlon 170u processing chip", and a terrible " nVidia GeForce 6150SE" integrated graphics chip with 2gb of ddr2 ram. The paltry strength of the cpu and gpu is palpable since ive used 90's celeron and early 2000's pentium cpus both having awful integrated gpus. The real issue, is that the desktop only comes with ethernet and and not wifi. i cant use ethernet mainly because i dont like ethernet and the router is in my parents room and i dont have the money to invest "insert length of ethernet cable long enough to reach my desktop. It might also end being a fire hazard, the last on might be a bit hyperbolic. I was hoping to find anything that would tell me if there's any place i can go to to buy a wifi chip or if its even possible to install a wifi chip on a motherboard this old. Here's a link to the speclist for those that are interested: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02481299

Ethernet is reliable and no hazard. I want to get the cable into my room to replace my wifi. Also that pc is sh*t and it’s not worth doing anything to it. I won’t connect it to the internet. But if you insist then:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC1200-USB-3-0-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Dongle-802-11ac-5GHz-Dual-Band-11AC/182565295071?epid=2230148463&hash=item2a81bd53df:g:FysAAOSwtZ5Z42ry

You can get really long Ethernet cables for cheap off the internet, like this. Probably cheaper than buying a WiFi adapter, plus you won't have to fiddle with drivers on such an old machine.

Also, Ethernet is not a fire hazard.