Laptop for engineering software

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
10 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

I'm mostly wondering what kind of cpu I should aim for, and if it is wise to go for a good gpu or just intel graphics

A modern ULV and a low end GPU like the spec mentioned above would be good imo

Hello guys!

In a few months I'm going to college (University or whatever you call it xD), and I need a laptop for doing 3D modelling and the sorts. I was wondering if you could help me by explaining what I would need to look for.

I have a budget of around 1000EUR, but don't look too close at the price as there is quite some margin and I can get most laptops (new) with a nice discount, so feel free to recommend something.

The programs I will use are mostly AutoCad, 3D-Cad Inventor and possibly Sketchup.

Some last wishes, I'd like the laptop to last for my time at school (4 years), and I'd prefer if the laptop could also do some gaming (some older games, like civ 5, mc, insurgency) just for some lan-party fun. Finally I would appreciate if  the laptop had a 14-15" screen, and is not too big.

Sorry for the shitton of wishes xD, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for your help!

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

I would get A thinkpad T480 with the D-gpu if you want a 14inch option, and it should be on a sale due to the new series(which is worse btw, no sd card slot on a business laptop?)

Thinkpad P52 comes with a Quadro, if you need that for CAD.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I would get A thinkpad T480 with the D-gpu if you want a 14inch option, and it should be on a sale due to the new series(which is worse btw, no sd card slot on a business laptop?)

do you mean the one with the mx150? this is a but too expensive, with the sale is more than 1500EUR

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Just now, TheThymo said:

do you mean the one with the mx150? this is a but too expensive, with the sale is more than 1500EUR

Oh. For that price yeah a bit much, but at 990€ it is quite a good deal. But it depends on the store of course.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Oh. For that price yeah a bit much, but at 990€ it is quite a good deal. But it depends on the store of course.

depending on what store you use, I looked at it through the lenovo website

3 hours ago, TheThymo said:

I'd like the laptop to last for my time at school (4 years)

Thinkpad T mentioned above is a decent choice. Or X, P series. Maybe Latitude 7000 series too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

11 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Thinkpad T mentioned above is a decent choice. Or X, P series. Maybe Latitude 7000 series too

The feeling I'm getting is that these a laptops where you might pay for them to last 8 years, but for the specs you pay way too much. e.g. i5, 8gb ram and intel uhd 620 is 1400EUR.

8 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

The feeling I'm getting is that these a laptops where you might pay for them to last 8 years, but for the specs you pay way too much. e.g. i5, 8gb ram and intel uhd 620 is 1400EUR.

You can't get the best out of all things. If you want more specs, consumer grade laptops like gaming laptops is the way to go

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

29 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

You can't get the best out of all things. If you want more specs, consumer grade laptops like gaming laptops is the way to go

Yeah, I was thinking that this was the way it is going to go

I'm mostly wondering what kind of cpu I should aim for, and if it is wise to go for a good gpu or just intel graphics

10 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

A modern ULV and a low end GPU like the spec mentioned above would be good imo

Desktop specs:

Spoiler