Pc usb ports problems

paulbean150

I just got an Oculus Rift from a friend but while setting it up a book fell from my desk onto my PC and the USB ports are acting up and basically working then not working after startup. my motherboard is an MSI z170a pc mate, my cpu is an I7-6700,which is cooled by a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3.

Do I need a new motherboard or something, please assist ASAP

You just need to buy an after market front panel, depending on what case you have.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

9 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You just need to buy an after market front panel, depending on what case you have.

The motherboard USB ports are the ones that aren’t working 

1 hour ago, paulbean150 said:

The motherboard USB ports are the ones that aren’t working 

The one on the case you mean?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

24 minutes ago, Constantin said:

The one on the case you mean?

No, all USB ports, including the ones on the motherboard,they are working for a few seconds then fail for a few minutes 

Your Motherboard might be screwed bro. Try making sure all your Power cables are properly inserted and nothing is loose. Also make sure every piece of hardware in your PC is connected properly and not loose. Honestly it sounds like you've sustained motherboard damage. If so, You will need a whole new one. 

11 hours ago, XauceBoi said:

Your Motherboard might be screwed bro. Try making sure all your Power cables are properly inserted and nothing is loose. Also make sure every piece of hardware in your PC is connected properly and not loose. Honestly it sounds like you've sustained motherboard damage. If so, You will need a whole new one. 

New information, the problem only shows up when the entire oculus rift is plugged into the ports, I have 3 sensors and the headset, if I leave one sensor disconnected it runs but as soon as I put in a third sensor the USB ports all shut down for about a minute, then come back on for a few seconds, and so on until I unplug the third sensor

Sounds as though the Oculus draws more power than your USB ports can supply. What happens if you plug the headset and sensors into a powered USB hub, or partially in said hub, and partially directly into the mainboard / ports on the case?

@paulbean150Make sure your 3rd Rift sensor is on a USB 2.0 connection as Oculus recommends. If you're using USB 3.0 for all 3 sensors, this is likely the root cause of your problem. I've been using my Rift roomscale setup for a little over a year and use a USB 2.0 extension for the 3rd sensor (rear). If you don't have any available USB 2.0 ports, then you can use a USB 2.0 extension cable to convert the signal. In my case, the USB 2.0 extension cable was actually included in my roomscale kit. 

I eventually managed to fix the problem. I purchased a cheap powered usb hub and plugged everything related to the Oculus into that, it works properly now. Thanks for all the help