ASUS RX 570 8GB Temps - Thoughts about Undervolting

mealto

So just installed the ASUS RX 570 8GB. By default, fans don't spin under 50C. So GPU basically idles at around 50C +/-. I am little surprised at the high idle temp as my last card idled at 35C in this case but given the default setup with the fans not spinning, it's understandable.

During Cinebench, temps don't get too high as fans ramp up. Now, just installed World War Z and temps got up to 77 C using I think the HIGH in-game setting. I know this is within the acceptable range. Wanted to see if anyone has a comment on GPU temps idling at 50 and reaching up to 77C during gaming.

Do you think I should swap the thermal paste, will that even make a difference to lower temps?

I also tried undervolting but that lead to lower MHz so it slowed the card down. I was surprised at this because my experience with undervolting my Intel CPU, it lowered temps by 10C without taking a performance hit. Does anyone have tips on how to achieve this on the GPU side?

9 minutes ago, mealto said:

So just installed the ASUS RX 570 8GB. By default, fans don't spin under 50C. So GPU basically idles at around 50C +/-. I am little surprised at the high idle temp as my last card idled at 35C in this case but given the default setup with the fans not spinning, it's understandable.

Yes, because the fans don't spin. That's why the temps are high.

You can switch that off in the AMD Wattman, there is a switch for the Zero Fan RPM stuff.

9 minutes ago, mealto said:

Do you think I should swap the thermal paste, will that even make a difference to lower temps?

No, you shouldn't.

It is good.

And the high idle temps mean less thermal stress.

Everything is fine and works as intended.

If you want lower temps, maybe you should let a fan blow onto the card??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

So tried playing the same game again but this time enabled MSI Afterburner's fan control. This ramped up fan speeds and instead of 77C, high temp reached 71C. I guess I will remember to enable MSI fan control before playing games.

Decided to go with stock settings inside Wattman. Not much advantage in undervolting and OC'ing in my opinion.