Logitech C920 Severe Tearing?

RelentlessAF

EDIT2: Hey so if anyone happens upon this with the same issue I was able to solve the problem by getting a PCI-E USB 3.0 card and plugging the webcam into that!

Hi there,

I've been trying to get into streaming lately and the biggest headache I've had so far has been the webcam. Initially the issue I had was that it would constantly stutter and freeze or run at an abysmal framerate. Lowering all the settings including exposure didn't do anything to fix that. I then uninstalled the webcam software and gaming software and instead installed Logitech's newish Capture software. The webcam from a framerate and picture quality is really good and looks how 99% of other people's c920s are supposed to look like however anytime I open a webpage, run a game, do literally anything that has my CPU do something the image tears a ton. The thing is I unplugged it and plugged it into my wife's PC and there are no issues whatsoever it runs perfectly fine so the webcam isn't broken.

Things I've tried:

Lowering camera resolution

Different USB ports

Powered USB hub

Uninstalling and then reinstalling USB drivers

Updating BIOS

Updating all other drivers

At this point it seems my motherboard may be the issue as I feel like I've had a lot of problems with it in general but I'd like a second opinion before I buy a different one for no reason.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @ 4.2Ghz

MOBO: Asus Z170-A

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz

GPU: EVGA GTX 980ti

PSU: EVGA 650w 80+ Gold

Thanks for any help!

You need to plug it into a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 iirc (I have the same webcam).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 hours ago, Nocte said:

You need to plug it into a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 iirc (I have the same webcam).

Hey! I just tried that and unfortunately same problem :(

35 minutes ago, GingerbreadPK said:

Hey! I just tried that and unfortunately same problem :(

I mean, it's definitely a compatibility problem with your system if it works on others.

Have you tried using it plug'n'play without Logitech drivers? Try that and launching OBS and use OBS to modify the camera settings (not as many options as Logitech software obvs).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 hour ago, Nocte said:

I mean, it's definitely a compatibility problem with your system if it works on others.

Have you tried using it plug'n'play without Logitech drivers? Try that and launching OBS and use OBS to modify the camera settings (not as many options as Logitech software obvs).

Same thing unfortunately still tears.

EDIT: So I've been trying to get it to use the default windows driver for awhile now and it just won't I'm not sure why but the logitech driver won't delete and manually changing the driver and restarting causes the webcam to use the logitech driver again.

• 11 months later...

Having similar issues with the new Logitech Streamcam plugged into the USB 3.1 type C ports on my x570 Aorus Master mobo. Severe tearing and have triple checked all drivers. Even bough new RAM that was on the QVL for the mobo hoping it would fix the issue, but turned out to be a waste of $250. The camera function perfectly fine on other systems, so thinking I migh just have a Gigabyte x570 Master motherboard with faulty USB C ports.