Random WiFi Data Loss Issue

jslowik

Hey all,

I'm running a Synology RT2600ac router that has recently begun dropping WiFi data on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to all devices. The SSID never disappears, just data stops flowing. This includes to our doorbell, smart speakers, phones, laptops, the works. Synology support has had me toggling settings and whatnot which is understandable, but the fact is that other than a blip when one of the firmware updates broke 5Ghz for a bit things have been working well.

Anyway the other day I disabled the radios on the device and hooked up my old N600 as an access point. Other than slow speeds the mass disconnection issue was gone. The Nest Hello had a brief period but that's likely due to positioning or something unrelated. but otherwise things were great.

If that change seemed to alleviate the issue, and the SSIDs never drop despite loss of data connection should I assume there's an issue with the radios on the Synology device?

And just to get ahead of the "check your internet" crowd - WiFi only. Wired devices have never dropped.

6 hours ago, jslowik said:

Hey all,

I'm running a Synology RT2600ac router that has recently begun dropping WiFi data on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to all devices. The SSID never disappears, just data stops flowing. This includes to our doorbell, smart speakers, phones, laptops, the works. Synology support has had me toggling settings and whatnot which is understandable, but the fact is that other than a blip when one of the firmware updates broke 5Ghz for a bit things have been working well.

Anyway the other day I disabled the radios on the device and hooked up my old N600 as an access point. Other than slow speeds the mass disconnection issue was gone. The Nest Hello had a brief period but that's likely due to positioning or something unrelated. but otherwise things were great.

If that change seemed to alleviate the issue, and the SSIDs never drop despite loss of data connection should I assume there's an issue with the radios on the Synology device?

And just to get ahead of the "check your internet" crowd - WiFi only. Wired devices have never dropped.

I have the same router and no issues. So its a possibility its a radio issue. Im currently running SRM version 1.2-7779 Update 1. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@Donut417 my father is on it as well with similar clients to me and he's having no issue as well. Another user without issue pushes me further to thinking it's an issue with my unit.

I'm currently on 1.2.2-7915 but I was two versions back when the problem began, so I was thinking that wasn't it.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, jslowik said:

@Donut417 my father is on it as well with similar clients to me and he's having no issue as well. Another user without issue pushes me further to thinking it's an issue with my unit.

I'm currently on 1.2.2-7915 but I was two versions back when the problem began, so I was thinking that wasn't it.

Thanks!

Id get the latest SRM just to be sure. Even if the firmware isnt buggy at first, doesn't mean it wont start having issues. Ive had similar experiences  with DLink routers. 

1.2.2-7915 is current, and just double checked downloads page again to be sure.

18 minutes ago, jslowik said:

1.2.2-7915 is current, and just double checked downloads page again to be sure.

Maybe Im a version behind. So it could be a firmware problem. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Maybe Im a version behind. So it could be a firmware problem. 

I suppose it could be. I was two versions behind when the issue began, and upgraded through both.

But it did start randomly without any changes. No firmware update or devices added. Had been working fine prior to that. After they fixed the 5GHz problem, anyway.