Share USB Device amongMultiple Systems?!

cluelessgenius

is it possible?

i have a desk mic and now id like to connect it to lets say the linux raspi and then use it on the main rig and a tiny server i have running in my closet (both win10).

i know of usb over ethernet but i havent tried in a long time and as far as i remember you can only make 1:1 connections right?

but id like to use it on 2 devices simultaniously if possible.

any ideas are welcome

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

synergy?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

5 minutes ago, will1432 said:

synergy?

hah. didnt think of that? does it work for usb devices like mics? i thought it was only for input devices like keyboard and mouse.

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

When you mean simultaneously, do you mean if you use say a mic, the sound goes to both computers at the same time?

yes. well actually i dont care about delay between the machines that much but low delay in general would be nice.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

4 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

yes. well actually i dont care about delay between the machines that much but low delay in general would be nice.

Unfortunately I believe the USB protocol doesn't allow for a USB device to directly share its data with two separate machines. You're going to have to find a workaround to get the data you want from the device to the other computer via some other means.  Even a USB share system like USB over Ethernet only allows for one machine to use said device.

In the case of having a microphone on two computers at once, you'll need to set the OS to output the microphone (In Windows this is the "Listen to this device" option) and feed the output to the other computer's line-input.

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Unfortunately I believe the USB protocol doesn't allow for a USB device to directly share its data with two separate machines. You're going to have to find a workaround to get the data you want from the device to the other computer via some other means.  Even a USB share system like USB over Ethernet only allows for one machine to use said device.

In the case of having a microphone on two computers at once, you'll need to set the OS to output the microphone (In Windows this is the "Listen to this device" option) and feed the output to the other computer's line-input.

hmm maybe i could stream the mic over ethernet but i got no clue how to get the client pcs to simulate a input dev ice from a network stream and also im a bit worried about delay

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

hmm maybe i could stream the mic over ethernet but i got no clue how to get the client pcs to simulate a input dev ice from a network stream and also im a bit worried about delay

For that I would recommend a remote tool like TeamViewer or VNC.

12 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

For that I would recommend a remote tool like TeamViewer or VNC.

that sounds more like a quick fix rather than a permanent setup. 

50 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

that sounds more like a quick fix rather than a permanent setup. 

Depending on the nature of how remote things are, I don't find having a keyboard being able to control another computer any time, anywhere without some manual process, or even better, authentication, to be a wise idea.

Audio input is fine since that typically doesn't control computers. Typically.

Synergy only works with keyboard and mouse. Remote connection is cheap and easy to setup. If the systems are close enough, you could use a KVM switch.

2 hours ago, BeeBee8 said:

Synergy only works with keyboard and mouse. Remote connection is cheap and easy to setup. If the systems are close enough, you could use a KVM switch.

well as i mentioned the main rig, a raspi and the mic are fairly close together but the server is in im closet across the apartment. 

but in other news : USB network gate https://www.eltima.com/de/products/usb-over-ethernet/

looks pretty promising because if i understood it right it supports connecting multiple cllients but ill have to try and see.

ideally im just connecting the mic to the pi (always on) and then stream it to the server (runnning alexa and some other ha shit) and also to the pc when im in discord.

sooo...i contacted the guys from USB network gate. and while their company being located on an island near puerto rico made me think of sending them my resume sadly they told me multiple clients simultaniously isnt possible. so back to the "webradio" idea.