RAM doesn't post

Go to solution Solved by Fredrup,

Update: I bought new RAM that is on the QVL of my MOBO and clocks to 3200 as described. Now obviously the RAM was the issue but the RAM I had previously was on that list also, I guess it was just faulty RAM. Anyway thank you for your help everyone and hopefully if anyone else is having the same problem they can get some answers here

I am having problems with my RAM. I have corsair vengeance 3000mhz RAM (ddr4). Base speed is 2166mhz. This is where the problems come up, when I try and set it to the XMP profile, or D.O.C.P profile cause I am using an AMD board (ROG Strix x470-f) I don't have the XMP profile.

When I set it to the profile my PC doesn't post and goes into safe boot post. I have tried setting the times manually and taking off my overclock that I have on my CPU. I have a EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU so I definitely have enough power. I have had this problem before I swapped to the new motherboard so guessing I need to replace the RAM but thought I would get some advice first.

PC spec:

Ryzen 1700x

ROG strix x470-f

corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 3000mhz

Gtx 1080

EVGA 650w 80 plus gold

Any advice would be good and hopefully I don't need to replace the RAM cause RAM is expensive.

Its a common AMD RAM compatibility.

Probably it's from the RAM.

but do not be surprised if it is from the MOBO or CPU

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

30 minutes ago, Fredrup said:

I am having problems with my RAM. I have corsair vengeance 3000mhz RAM (ddr4). Base speed is 2166mhz. This is where the problems come up, when I try and set it to the XMP profile, or D.O.C.P profile cause I am using an AMD board (ROG Strix x470-f) I don't have the XMP profile.

When I set it to the profile my PC doesn't post and goes into safe boot post. I have tried setting the times manually and taking off my overclock that I have on my CPU. I have a EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU so I definitely have enough power. I have had this problem before I swapped to the new motherboard so guessing I need to replace the RAM but thought I would get some advice first. 

Turn on D.O.C.P and then set the frequency manually to 2933mhz, First Gen Ryzen doesn't do 3000mhz well

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

34 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Its a common AMD RAM compatibility.

Probably it's from the RAM.

but do not be surprised if it is from the MOBO or CPU

First gen; yes. Zen+ pretty much takes all ram and prefers it above 3000mhz 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

First gen; yes. Zen+ pretty much takes all ram and prefers it above 3000mhz 

This is what i meant.

You read the release note and do so!

Flash it or not!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

@Stormseeker9

Let's say there is a new update in bios that has to do with M2/Mvm2 drives.

You dont have any of those, never plan to get any.

Will you flash it?

7 minutes ago, Constantin said:

@Stormseeker9

Let's say there is a new update in bios that has to do with M2/Mvm2 drives.

You dont have any of those, never plan to get any.

Will you flash it?

I think you quoted me in the wrong topic - as I said, ‘never’ I don’t agree with.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

First thing I did was flash the Bios. I'll try the turning on DOCP and setting the frequency to 2933, I just know that AMD do prefer speeds above 3000.

Tried the DOCP on and set to 2933 but still boots in safe mode. I dont think it is the MOBO because, I had this same problem with my previous MOBO, while still possible, its unlikely to be a problem with both mobos. CPU could be the problem as I had this CPU in the old MOBO, just hoping it's not cause I wanted to wait till 3rd gen ryzen came out to upgrade so I get a more significant upgrade.

I tried every frequency between 2133 and 3000 with DOCP enabled. I know the timings will be wrong for those frequencies but just gonna try everything at this point. I may buy new RAM and try it and if that doesn't work just return it. If anyone else has any other advice I would be grateful, I will also let you know how this goes in case someone else is having the same problem.

Update: I bought new RAM that is on the QVL of my MOBO and clocks to 3200 as described. Now obviously the RAM was the issue but the RAM I had previously was on that list also, I guess it was just faulty RAM. Anyway thank you for your help everyone and hopefully if anyone else is having the same problem they can get some answers here