USB Tethered laptop not able to cast

Using a toshiba a500 (I know. Don't judge. I may regale you with the tale of its journey)

The Wifi adapter built in is only capable of connecting to 2.4 ghz. I installed a new one but it kept failing after about 15 minutes.  I assumed it was because I bought a $12 wifi adapter. The original still worked fine.

Anyway, now I'm using an old S7 as a USB tether in a USB 3.0 slot I installed into the express card slot (Damn I miss those). It works just fine. Last speed test gave me 80mbps so I'm ok with that.  I'll be getting a new internal card, but for now I'm good with this.

The problem is that I can no longer cast from the laptop. "No devices found"

Yes, the chromecast is working. I'm using it as I type this. The network is working. All 18 devices are currently connected and reachable.  However, the IP of the computer has changed from 192.168.0.30 to 192.168.42.30

So...  it is on the same network, but the phone is working as a router, preventing me from contacting the rest of the network directly. How can I bypass this limitation?

Also, anyone got a Core Duo 9800 they wanna give away? (Or something similar with a 1600mhz fsb and more than 3mb cache)  ...just askin.

Idk if you can, because technically your phone is connected to the wifi, not the laptop.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I can't help but think there must be some way around this though. The phone is basically acting as a repeater.

11 hours ago, SmokeyTheBlair said:

I can't help but think there must be some way around this though. The phone is basically acting as a repeater.

Your laptop is on a different subnet. Your phone is acting like a Router, which is causing a NAT issue.

You'd basically need to port forward (or setup a static route between the subnets), on the phone itself. I highly doubt Android is capable of this out of the box, so you're stuck using third party apps - personally, I'm not aware of any I'd trust to do this task.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

54 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Your laptop is on a different subnet. Your phone is acting like a Router, which is causing a NAT issue.

You'd basically need to port forward (or setup a static route between the subnets), on the phone itself. I highly doubt Android is capable of this out of the box, so you're stuck using third party apps - personally, I'm not aware of any I'd trust to do this task.

This sounds doable.  At the very least you've given me a starting point, and I appreciate that! 

I'll try a few things and be back when I have the result