Recommendations for NEWB LINUX USER?

Recently installed linux mint 19 on my PC under dual boot circumstances on separate drives (HDD and SSD). I have Windows on my other drive. I chose Mint for notoriously being user friendly to introduce myself into the Linux Community. Any Recommendations to long time Linux users for a brand new user trying to get into the open-source community as well. I am fairly knowledgeable on the topic, just haven't gotten myself into it until now. Thanks!

Not really sure what you are looking for?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not really sure what you are looking for?

I have no interest in basic web browsing and word processing. Any personal server setups I can toy with (for testing). Ethical Hacking? Everything is so outdated on the internet. Things that would give me the opportunity to learn more about the open-source concept of linux. Thought about moving over to ubuntu

Just now, kdawwgg1221 said:

I have no interest in basic web browsing and word processing. Any personal server setups I can toy with (for testing). Ethical Hacking? Everything is so outdated on the internet. Things that would give me the opportunity to learn more about the open-source concept of linux. Thought about moving over to ubuntu

Can't say I have much to help you, find some online CTF competition, that's where I have done most of my cracking, injection and "hacking". Find some project you enjoy maybe? Lutris or something?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm currently in the same boat. Had some spare server parts and equipment at work and threw it all together. I've got 2 xeons and 200gb of raid 1 storage I've installed ubuntu server on. (Terminal only) I'm using SAMBA to create a file share across the network so that hopefully all my raspberry pi's and other devices can pull from the share.

It's a long-winded way of a signage solution here but it would save us a ton of money vs pre-made products out there.

23 hours ago, Sauron said:

linuxfromscratch.org

Thanks!