Small laptop recommendations

Recommendations for laptops that are usable on a plane? The 15 incher I have right now isn't really cutting it. It's too big to use comfortably.

I mainly code and write documents. As long as it has an okay trackpad and full function/number keys (and a standard keyboard layout with correctly shaped keyboard keys), I think I'll be able to survive. In one of his videos, I remember seeing one of the personal laptops Linus used to take notes. It was a razor I think. I don't remember the model but the thing was tiny.

Maybe something like that would work better?

The Razer Blade stealth is what you're looking for. Linus wasn't the biggest fan of the newest models, but the one you him use is very light and compact as well as plentiful powerful enough for your needs. How much do you want to spend?

47 minutes ago, 0fat100awesome said:

full function/number keys (and a standard keyboard layout with correctly shaped keyboard keys)

Do you mean numpad?

Where are you from? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life and display size? Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradable RAM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

22 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Do you mean numpad?

Where are you from? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life and display size? Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradable RAM?

Doesn't have to be a numpad -- just a basic number keys that are typically found below the function keys.

I think I'll be okay up to 1500USD for budget. Usage will be mostly for browing, taking notes, and basic coding (Java, Typescript, etc..). I won't be doing anything ultra heavy like running sims or renders or gaming.

Don't care about upgradable RAM or a highres display. As long as the display is bright enough for typical day-to-day use and doesn't have any obvious flaws (e.g. ghosting), I'll survive.

Would like decent battery life but I know that may not be possible because small laptop probably means small battery. Thankfully most airlines now have power outlets available for all their seats

15 minutes ago, 0fat100awesome said:

1500USD

Are you from US?

highres display

high sRGB not high res. higher sRGB = more vibrant colours

doesn't have any obvious flaws (e.g. ghosting)

Every laptop panel will have ghosting unless you go for high refresh rate panel

16 minutes ago, 0fat100awesome said:

Would like decent battery life but I know that may not be possible because small laptop probably means small battery

You can get big battery in small laptops. So you're fine with poor battery life?

No preference on weight and display size?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

22 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Are you from US?

high sRGB not high res. higher sRGB = more vibrant colours

Every laptop panel will have ghosting unless you go for high refresh rate panel

You can get big battery in small laptops. So you're fine with poor battery life?

No preference on weight and display size?

Canadian living/working in the US.

I'm not sure about the display. I just want it to be good enough to look at / work on for 5-7 hours at a time (typical flying time for one of my flights). I can't really quantify what 'good enough' means in terms of specs. I'm not an expert.

Same thing with battery life. I don't know what poor battery life means these days. I've seen some laptops advertise 20+ hours. I don't think I need to go that high, but maybe 4 to 8 hours is fine?

For size/weight, it needs to be smaller so I can use it more comfortably on a flight. The other reply mentioned the Razer Blade Stealth, which looks really good in terms of size/weight/display size, but as mentioned Linus wasn't a fan (Jan 2019 video)

2 minutes ago, 0fat100awesome said:

For size/weight, it needs to be smaller so I can use it more comfortably on a flight. The other reply mentioned the Razer Blade Stealth, which looks really good in terms of size/weight/display size

So you wanted 13 inch? BTW Razer laptops have terrible QC+QA and aftersales support

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

So you wanted 13 inch? BTW Razer laptops have terrible QC+QA and aftersales support

I think 13 is reasonable. I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro that I'm using now and I feel cramped when I'm using it on a flight.

How small can you go?

On 5/1/2019 at 12:32 AM, blackablacka said:

How small can you go?

Personally I prefer 17.3 inch. 15.6 inch is a bit small for me. Anyway, everyone has different preferences

Since you prefer lighter weight, I'll exclude options that are >1.5kg. Also, I'll try to avoid those with low PWM display (will cause eye strain)

Thinkpads:

*T490 customize with 400 nits low power IPS

*T480s customize with WQHD panel

Thinkpad T490s customize

X1 Carbon G6 customize

X390 customize / 20Q0002DUS

X390 Yoga 20NN000VUS

Latitudes:

7390 2 in 1

Dell XPS 13 9380 16GB / 8GB

Asus UX392FN-XS71

Asus UX391UA-XB71-R

Asus UX370UA-XH74T-BL

HP Spectre x360 13t customize (optional 16GB)

Asus UX333FA-DH51

Asus UX433FA-DH74 16GB

Lenovo Yoga C930 81C4006XUS (16GB) / 81C4004TUS

Lenovo Yoga 730 13 81CT001SUS (16GB) / 81CT001TUS

Lenovo Ideapad 730s 81JB0008US (16GB) / 81JB000BUS - no USB A

Asus UX431FA-ES51

Acer Swift 3 SF314-55-55UT

HP Envy 13t customize (optional 16GB)

*upgradable RAM

1. SSD upgrades are expensive in Thinkpads, suggest upgrading SSD by yourself

2. All options have good display - bright enough and high sRGB

Desktop specs:

Spoiler