Sata Power Cable

ADM_Foxtrot

Is it ok for this sata cable to be like this? 

Having doubt that I should use a straight sata cable although here in my country I can't find any decent looking straight sata cable. I can only find straight sata cable but using molex for power... 

#FirstTimer

What is it for? Is it for a desktop build or some kind of specialty pc where it uses Molex for power? Your power supply should come with SATA power cables for the HDD and the Motherboard should come with SATA cables for Data. If you are looking for good quality cable search CableMod https://cablemod.com/ They have good quality single cables as well as kits for most mainstream desktop power supplies.

10 minutes ago, Professor G - Games - Tech said:

What is it for? Is it for a desktop build or some kind of specialty pc where it uses Molex for power? Your power supply should come with SATA power cables for the HDD and the Motherboard should come with SATA cables for Data. If you are looking for good quality cable search CableMod https://cablemod.com/ They have good quality single cables as well as kits for most mainstream desktop power supplies.

IMG_20190428_134503.jpg

11 minutes ago, Professor G - Games - Tech said:

just normal gaming pc 

15 minutes ago, Professor G - Games - Tech said:

May I ask what the power supply is?

RM750X Corsair

2 hours ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Having doubt that I should use a straight sata cable although here in my country I can't find any decent looking straight sata cable. I can only find straight sata cable but using molex for power... 

What do you mean by "straight SATA cable"?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

What do you mean by "straight SATA cable"?

images (28).jpeg

9 hours ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

images (28).jpeg

Ok.. What you have there in that picture adapts SATA to PCIe for a mining PC.

The pinout on the Corsair PSU is somewhat proprietary (it's called "Type 3" or "Type 4").

If you want to plug a SATA cable directly into the PSU, you need to make sure it's compatible with Corsair power supplies.  Otherwise, you're fry your drives.

What is "my country" and maybe we can help you find a cable.

Besides that, @CableMod should be able to ship a SATA cable for your PSU pretty much wherever you are in the world.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

The pinout on the Corsair PSU is somewhat proprietary (it's called "Type 3" or "Type 4").

If you want to plug a SATA cable directly into the PSU, you need to make sure it's compatible with Corsair power supplies.  Otherwise, you're fry your drives.

Besides that, @CableMod should be able to ship a SATA cable for your PSU pretty much wherever you are in the world.

A'ight. Nervous buying online for the first time. Thnx for the tips. I don't want my money to go to waste. :(

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Last question. So my sata power cable won't break even if it's in this position for a long time. I feel like it's straining the cable.

IMG_20190428_134344.jpg

IMG_20190428_134503.jpg

1 hour ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Last question. So my sata power cable won't break even if it's in this position for a long time. I feel like it's straining the cable.

IMG_20190428_134344.jpg

IMG_20190428_134503.jpg

Ahh... NOW I know why you're asking.

Yeah.. I wouldn't connect that that way.  It's not made to do that.

Can you flip the drive around and mount it the other way?  I'm guessing it's mounted directly to the motherboard tray?

Can you not use the end connector?  If you can use the next connector in the chain, it would be MUCH better.

And what chassis is that?  I haven't seen SSD mounted that close to a surface before?  No tray?  Just screwed directly into the motherboard tray?

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

And what chassis is that?  I haven't seen SSD mounted that close to a surface before?  No tray?  Just screwed directly into the motherboard tray?

Yes, exactly.

Seen that recently with a couple of lowest end Case from all manufacturers.

So you might want to go back and use at least one of those crimped and not cut-in connectors that was for example used more commonly back in the day...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 4/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Ahh... NOW I know why you're asking.

Yeah.. I wouldn't connect that that way.  It's not made to do that.

Can you flip the drive around and mount it the other way?  I'm guessing it's mounted directly to the motherboard tray?

Can you not use the end connector?  If you can use the next connector in the chain, it would be MUCH better.

Not sure about that. This is the next connector and alsoI'm using a fractal design mechify C.

IMG_20190501_200352.jpg

You gotta figure out another way to mount that drive.

That's not right.  And there's nothing unusual about the way that SATA cable is made.

29 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's not right.  And there's nothing unusual about the way that SATA cable is made.

Screenshot_20190501_225422_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.bd2c769cba6e5c4623b45403d88991bd.jpg

Screenshot_20190501_225203_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_20190501_225309_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

41 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I had the same issue with the SSD mounted on the back of the motherboard tray when using the SATA cables with my RM750x. Be Quiet Silent Base 800. Had to bend it at a 90° angle for it to fit. Even if I could flip the SSD around the other way, the cable would still end up squashed against the side panel when it's closed.

Spoiler

IMG_20190502_011402.thumb.jpg.4dfa1824b671acdba31044328aae65bb.jpg

Might end up moving it though since I've moved some HDDs out and should have some room in the 3.5" bracket for it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Not sure what the point of this post is beyond admitting you made a shitty case choice or have no mechanical inclination to fix a design flaw. 

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

I had the same issue with the SSD mounted on the back of the motherboard tray when using the SATA cables with my RM750x. Be Quiet Silent Base 800. Had to bend it at a 90° angle for it to fit. Even if I could flip the SSD around the other way, the cable would still end up squashed against the side panel when it's closed.

Yeah, same here.

In these days it makes sense to think about the (possibly more expensive) Crimped S-ATA Connectors.

Those ones:

https://www.amazon.com/20set-Power-Connector-Crimp-Terminal/dp/B07BQQ6D3Q

At least one at the end of the Cable...

The Rest can be the cut in connectors.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I had the same cable style and it eventually broke after too many reconnections. I modded my way out of that by making my own straight connectors but you could buy molex to sata adapters

27 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

these are great but if OP doesn't knows how to use them it's pointless

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB