MBR2GPT - Disk layout validation failed for disk

When I installed windows I accidentally didn't put it in UEFI mode and did not notice for a while, I was just having problems booting the drive by default and have been having to manually, now that I have realized it, it is too late to do a fresh windows install so I am trying to use the mbr2gpt tool. my OS is on a 250gb Samsung 970Evo, which is identified as my disk 2, I ran;

mbr2gpt.exe /convert /disk:2 /allowfullos

But even though that is the disk which has my OS I get the error;

Capture.PNG.63d6e56942225f372cca8ca495dbbe10.PNG

Here is my drive layout;

Capture1.PNG.7c6eb0363b1fb4727bca4f484a0b611a.PNG

How do I get past this error and convert it so I can use UEFI?

I think it has to do with the byte size.

I'd say just format the drive after moving everything to a secondary drive.

2 minutes ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

I think it has to do with the byte size.

I'd say just format the drive after moving everything to a secondary drive.

how am i supposed to reformat an m.2 ssd without an OS? and i really am trying to avoid reformating anything, i know it is possible i have seen a bunch of other computers it work on

7 minutes ago, Raz17 said:

how am i supposed to reformat an m.2 ssd without an OS? 

If you go to this website you can get the download link to the Media Creator. Just grab a thumb drive that's at least 8gb, and follow the instructions in the tool. Then back up your important files, and follow the instructions on loading into a boot device depending on your motherboard.

Edit: more detail

Lets Make sure the Process was done Correctly with the OS you MUST HAVE AT THE VERY LEAST. For it to work.

You should be using Windows 10 v1703 or higher. If you are not sure, press Win + R, type winver and press Enter.

The disk you are trying to convert should not have more than three partitions. If you have more than three partitions on the Windows 10 installation drive, either merge or delete excess partitions.

If you are using BitLocker to encrypt your system, decrypt the drive and disable BitLocker protection before starting the conversion process. With BitLocker protection turned on, Windows 10 cannot convert your drive from Legacy BIOS to UEFI.

After converting, you might have to change your motherboard firmware settings from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Depending on your motherboard manufacturer, the procedure to switch from one to the other will be different. Have your motherboard manual handy to make things easier for you.

To convert, you need to access Command Prompt from Windows advanced start-up. For that, press Win + X, go to “Shut down or sign out” and click on the “Restart” button while holding the Shift key.

The above action will reboot your system to the Advanced Start-up screen. Here, go to “Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options,” and select the option “Command Prompt.”

The first thing we need to do is validate the disk we are trying to convert. Type the below command and press Enter.

mbr2gpt /validate

If you see the “Validation completed successfully” message, then you can proceed to the next step. If you see any errors, your disk or system might not meet the conversion requirements.

4. After validating the disk, execute the below command.

mbr2gpt /convert

As soon as you execute, Windows 10 will start the conversion process, i.e. it will add all the required UEFI boot files and GPT components and then update the Boot Configuration Data.

Now restart your system, launch your motherboard firmware settings screen and change it from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. The procedure to change from Legacy BIOS to UEFI depends on your motherboard manufacturer. Consult the manual for the exact steps.

6. After booting into Windows 10, you can verify whether you are converted or not. Just like before, open the disk properties window from the Disk Management tool, and go to the “Volumes” tab. Here, you should see “GUID Partition Table (GPT)” next to “Partition style.”

Try is as such, Then Let us know. Also You may have to Update windows for Necessary files.

Good Luck!

11 minutes ago, ryanromerosr said:

Lets Make sure the Process was done Correctly with the OS you MUST HAVE AT THE VERY LEAST. For it to work.

You should be using Windows 10 v1703 or higher. If you are not sure, press Win + R, type winver and press Enter.

The disk you are trying to convert should not have more than three partitions. If you have more than three partitions on the Windows 10 installation drive, either merge or delete excess partitions.

If you are using BitLocker to encrypt your system, decrypt the drive and disable BitLocker protection before starting the conversion process. With BitLocker protection turned on, Windows 10 cannot convert your drive from Legacy BIOS to UEFI.

After converting, you might have to change your motherboard firmware settings from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Depending on your motherboard manufacturer, the procedure to switch from one to the other will be different. Have your motherboard manual handy to make things easier for you.

To convert, you need to access Command Prompt from Windows advanced start-up. For that, press Win + X, go to “Shut down or sign out” and click on the “Restart” button while holding the Shift key.

The above action will reboot your system to the Advanced Start-up screen. Here, go to “Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options,” and select the option “Command Prompt.”

The first thing we need to do is validate the disk we are trying to convert. Type the below command and press Enter.

mbr2gpt /validate

If you see the “Validation completed successfully” message, then you can proceed to the next step. If you see any errors, your disk or system might not meet the conversion requirements.

4. After validating the disk, execute the below command.

mbr2gpt /convert

As soon as you execute, Windows 10 will start the conversion process, i.e. it will add all the required UEFI boot files and GPT components and then update the Boot Configuration Data.

Now restart your system, launch your motherboard firmware settings screen and change it from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. The procedure to change from Legacy BIOS to UEFI depends on your motherboard manufacturer. Consult the manual for the exact steps.

6. After booting into Windows 10, you can verify whether you are converted or not. Just like before, open the disk properties window from the Disk Management tool, and go to the “Volumes” tab. Here, you should see “GUID Partition Table (GPT)” next to “Partition style.”

Try is as such, Then Let us know. Also You may have to Update windows for Necessary files.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the guide. However, I have already researched and tried these things. I have the newest windows update, and if you check my initial post, I am getting an error (Reposted bellow) when I do this process, as well there is only 1 partition on my boot drive, (see initial post picture 2)

32 minutes ago, Raz17 said:

Thank you for the guide. However, I have already researched and tried these things. I have the newest windows update, and if you check my initial post, I am getting an error (Reposted bellow) when I do this process, as well there is only 1 partition on my boot drive, (see initial post picture 2)

It might be a windows thing.

1 minute ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

It might be a windows thing.

?a windows thing?

Just now, Raz17 said:

?a windows thing?

I dunno man. I’m thinking the Disk 2 has something to do with it.

2 minutes ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

Have you tried to do dskchk?

There is nothing wrong with the disk, it's just in a different priority because it is in an m.s slot and not a sata port like my hard drive and sata SSD. the drive number doesn't matter, the issues are with how mbr2gpt is interpreting the drive. 

Here is the error from the log;

2019-04-23 17:04:49, Error                        ValidateLayout: Wrong boot partition count, expected 1 but found 0.
2019-04-23 17:04:49, Error                        Disk layout validation failed for disk 2
2019-04-23 17:04:49, FatalError [0x090001] PANTHR Exception (code 0xC0000005: ACCESS_VIOLATION) occurred at 0x00007FF7C1F9E86D in C:\WINDOWS\system32\MBR2GPT.EXE (+000000000000E86D).  Minidump attached (51971 bytes) to diagerr.xml and C:\WINDOWS\mnd6945.diagerr.mdmp.

It doesn't detect the boot partition as a boot partition even though I am literally running my OS from it right now ?

6 minutes ago, Raz17 said:

It doesn't detect the boot partition as a boot partition even though I am literally running my OS from it right now ?

WELL THEN ?

12 minutes ago, Raz17 said:

(code 0xC0000005: ACCESS_VIOLATION)

Spoiler has some info on what it might be based on

Spoiler

Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, it has many different causes including faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.

In this case, we suggest that you check for corrupted Windows system files. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC. 

To run System File Checker (SFC), follow these steps:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator >Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /). Scanning will take a few minutes.
  3. If SFC finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.

For more info about System File Checker, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

25 minutes ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

Spoiler has some info on what it might be based on

Hide contents

Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, it has many different causes including faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.

In this case, we suggest that you check for corrupted Windows system files. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC. 

To run System File Checker (SFC), follow these steps:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator >Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /). Scanning will take a few minutes.
  3. If SFC finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.

For more info about System File Checker, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Capture2.PNG.d16dcad9bfe03b0efd642136a693faa0.PNG

Nope.

19 minutes ago, Raz17 said:

Capture2.PNG.d16dcad9bfe03b0efd642136a693faa0.PNG

Nope.

Hmph... I'm lost, i'll do more research.

1 hour ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

How do you know it's in UEFI mode?

The problem is that I am not, I am in "Legacy" or standard BIOS mode as opposed to my BIOS mode being UEFI :

Capture4.PNG.e02845601815b8daa2641876a9429a96.PNG

Run MSInfo32 , To see the system information panel.

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem, and I have my boot disk as an M.2 in Legacy boot mode with MBR.  I also have a Ryzen 7 processor which could be a hangup for Windows 11 for some strange reason.