ps3 thermal paste

I have a slim ps3 that I want to apply new thermal paste to because I haven't done so since it was bought back  in 2012, any recommendations, please the thing smelled burnt when I started it up. I already took it apart and blew all dust out, so that shouldn't happen anymore but I'd like to prolong the systems life as long as possible since it was one of my last gifts from my grandmother before she passed away

Any non conductive paste will be just fine which is like 99% of all thermal greases out there. Best ones would be Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut, Noctua NH-T1 or Arctic MX4 are generally regarded as the best of the best in terms of there performance. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Any non conductive paste will be just fine which is like 99% of all thermal greases out there. Best ones would be Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut, Noctua NH-T1 or Arctic MX4 are generally regarded as the best of the best in terms of there performance. 

@paulbean150 this ^ , just make sure you keep pressure on the heatsink while screwing the retention mechanisms back into place to avoid air bubbles becoming trapped in the paste and you're golden!

I already ordered arctic silver 5, is there a problem with conductive ones even if I don't contact other components? can someone please explain

3 hours ago, paulbean150 said:

I already ordered arctic silver 5, is there a problem with conductive ones even if I don't contact other components? can someone please explain

artic silver 5 is conductive?

45 minutes ago, Dreamer758 said:

artic silver 5 is conductive?

Pulled straight from Arctic Silver webpage

"Made With 99.9% Pure Silver: 
Arctic Silver 5 uses three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer."

Silver is electrically conductive, and it's in the name.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

18 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

Pulled straight from Arctic Silver webpage

"Made With 99.9% Pure Silver: 
Arctic Silver 5 uses three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer."

Silver is electrically conductive, and it's in the name.

I thought it was just the name didnt know it was alost pure silver weird how it stays in liquid form been using it sing my very first ps3 got ylod all the way to my current pc builds

23 hours ago, Dreamer758 said:

I thought it was just the name didnt know it was alost pure silver weird how it stays in liquid form been using it sing my very first ps3 got ylod all the way to my current pc builds

I think you misunderstood, it says it's made with 99.9% pure silver, not that it is 99.9% silver. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips