dell optiplex 780 rgb fan?

just that pc guy

ok ok ok, so my dell optiplex 780 MT fan is squeaking and slowing down a bit while its spinning, so i thought, oh perfect time to get a cool rgb lookin fan, but then i thought do they have the right size and if so do they have the right pin connectors? or is that another one of dells drawbacks for there "special" style.

some RGB fans have proprietary RGB connectors, others are just the standard RGB 5050. you'll also need an RGB controller for it since the optiplex isn't gonna have one of those connectors lying around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

some RGB fans have proprietary RGB connectors, others are just the standard RGB 5050. you'll also need an RGB controller for it since the optiplex isn't gonna have one of those connectors lying around.

oof if thats the case then imma have to stick with the usb powered rgb strip that i taped on the inside, a rgb fan would be nice but its prob gonna cost too much.

8 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

ok ok ok, so my dell optiplex 780 MT fan is squeaking and slowing down a bit while its spinning, so i thought, oh perfect time to get a cool rgb lookin fan, but then i thought do they have the right size and if so do they have the right pin connectors? or is that another one of dells drawbacks for there "special" style.

Optiplex 780s use custom fan connectors. You can re-wire a PWM fan or get an adapter (cheap). Addressable RGB isn't going to happen, but a 92mm fan that cycles through colors on its own might work. TBQH, you're better off getting a SATA-powered RGB strip and installing that in the case.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Optiplex 780s use custom fan connectors. You can re-wire a PWM fan or get an adapter (cheap). Addressable RGB isn't going to happen, but a 92mm fan that cycles through colors on its own might work. TBQH, you're better off getting a SATA-powered RGB strip and installing that in the case.

man dell sucks, im starten to think that im gonna join the hp gang

3 hours ago, just that pc guy said:

man dell sucks, im starten to think that im gonna join the hp gang

Dude an Optiplex 780 is an ancient business machine. The fact that the things have even lasted this long on their original PSU is amazing. Their defect/failure rate is ridiculously low when you consider that most of them have been put on dirty carpets, had coffee spilled on them, never once cleaned and frequently abused, intentionally or otherwise, but the end user. HP and Lenovo business machines from that era are still good, but if you want something dirt cheap, durable as a steel condom, supremely upgradeable, incredibly easy to work in without needing any tools and proven to withstand the test of time, the Optiplex is the way to go. I will defend them to the death as by far the best of the big three OEMs, assuming you can live with buying a $1.99 adapter from China to turn your own PWM fan into a Dell-compatible one.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

2 hours ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

The MT fan is 120mm

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

The MT fan is 120mm

@just that pc guy, it seems you have your choice of fans... You'll need to buy a separate controller to change the RGB, but that's fairly straightforward.

My recommendation: (For what it's worth)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/sp-series-rgb-led-config/p/CO-9050061-WW

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450