External hard drive/memory

Hello,

Im a college student and with my birthday coming up, im looking into external memory devices. I am stuck between an SSD or Hard Drive. I am looking at 2-4TB drive, to last me many years, that can take a good daily use with plenty of writes and being shaken around. 

Thank you. 

1 minute ago, Jared J said:

Hard Drive. I am looking at 2-4TB drive, to last me many years

you dont really benefit alot from speed of external drive , so get max capacity you can, imo 4tb hard drive is the sweet spot

The access time of the SSD is definitely beneficial. But I'd definitely look at an SSD. Yes, there are some really good mechanical drives, but they are more susceptible to movement. Plus the weight too.

I'm assuming this is going into your laptop? Have you already maxed out the internal storage? And you have cloud offerings too that might help with saving the cost and saving on extra stuff to carry around.

I have had so many external hard drives go bad, it’s honestly ridiculous. WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Sandisk, even G-Tech.

I was always careful with movement and everything, ejecting, heat conditions, not shaking them, I never even took them out of the house, nothing helped, they all died except for an old WD 80gb that somehow still works. I’ve probably had 10 of them (majority being WD) and have one survivor, think about that.

My advice is to steer well clear of them. Buy a huge flash drive if you must or an external SSD. The spinner drives will work for a while but it’s only a matter of time. The things are ticking time bombs.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:40 AM, Ryujin2003 said:

The access time of the SSD is definitely beneficial. But I'd definitely look at an SSD. Yes, there are some really good mechanical drives, but they are more susceptible to movement. Plus the weight too.

I'm assuming this is going into your laptop? Have you already maxed out the internal storage? And you have cloud offerings too that might help with saving the cost and saving on extra stuff to carry around.

I haven't maxed it, but I want to be able to back up my data without cloud and a also be able to access data without internet and just have extra space in general. I've heard ssds don't have much write cycles. Is it more than hard drives??

so, can anyone recommend an external SSD?

Thanks.