PSU or CPU issues?

Ravenbear

I am having hard boots at random. I am thinking it is either the PSU or GPU. Is there any way to test the PSU?  Thanks.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

19 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

Is there any way to test the PSU? 

With the appropriate tools, sure. (Things like a multimeter and knowing what you're doing certainly helps, there are also some dedicated psu testing tools you can buy online but those are quite basic)

When you say "hard boot", you mean the computer just randomly reboots or it doesn't boot? 

If it doesn't boot, remove any unnecessary components(hard drives, disc drives, usb devices), use only 1 stick of RAM (try using a different RAM slot too). Remove GPU and see if it boots or not through onboard. If that didn't do it, remove the motherboard from the case and try again with the board onto a cardboard box, you may have an extra standoff installed that creates a short if it boots.

If it does boot but randomly restart, undo any overclock you may have done, reset BIOS to default settings and leave every on Auto. (Don't use XMP)

If things work from there, manually put back the timing of your RAM to what they should be, without using XMP.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

I am having hard boots at random. I am thinking it is either the PSU or GPU. Is there any way to test the PSU?  Thanks.

I'm not the best at computers, but it might be drives. I'm pretty sure most of the work is done in either the CPU or storage. Open task manager when it boots and see what may be struggling.

If you mean its turning off randomly and its a hard boot up, Id assume a new build here, then Id say you are grounding something to the case (I.E. motherboard standoff touching back of mobo)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

17 hours ago, Tristerin said:

If you mean its turning off randomly and its a hard boot up, Id assume a new build here, then Id say you are grounding something to the case (I.E. motherboard standoff touching back of mobo)

It's an old build that I am using until I get my new one built. It just shuts down i.e goes to a black screen and restart. There is nothing it the error dump logs so I am troubleshooting it because I was going to give the old part to a friend and wanted to make sure nothing was broken/  It is an Asus ROG Maxiums Code IX running an i7 7700k with 32gb of Corsair Dominator ddr4 ram and an RTX 2080ti FE.  With the history of some 2080ti cards that is going to be my first bet, the card I am keeping so if it is that it makes things simpler as I can wait for a replacement.   Thanks for the help folks.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240