Audio problems. Front I/O and Back have differences.

David_Kwan
Go to solution Solved by Dioneyesos,

You might be able to configure the rear port to be a headphone out instead of a speaker out. but the easier option would be to look for the option (see picture)  set it so they play at the same time. Not sure you have this exact option, you might however have something similar 

Screenshot_20190408-113637.jpg

Hi guys,

So I don't know why but when I have my speakers or headphones plugged into the back of the motherboard, there is some audio that doesn't work.

For example the messaging app Wechat, when someone sends me an audio message I cannot hear it if the speakers is plugged to the back. But if plugged into the front it works.

Similar situation when I play games. For The Division 2, I cannot hear ISAC if I'm using the back. But I can hear everything just fine if plugged to the front.

Is there a driver problem? Is my mobo defective in some aspects? Any troubleshooting I can do?

Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

Does switching from front to back change the audio output device? I know some games and programs don't like switching audio outputs devices. 

Spoiler

Image result for windows 10 switch audio output device

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Just now, Dioneyesos said:

Does switching from front to back change the audio output device? I know some games and programs don't like switching audio outputs devices. 

Hide contents

Image result for windows 10 switch audio output device

I don't have both speakers and headset plugged in at the same time though. So it shouldn't be this issue.

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

5 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

I don't have both speakers and headset plugged in at the same time though. So it shouldn't be this issue.

Yea it could be the issue. Look in the picture. It adds a "different" audio output device. Doesn't matter if you plug them in at the same time

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

1 hour ago, Dioneyesos said:

Yea it could be the issue. Look in the picture. It adds a "different" audio output device. Doesn't matter if you plug them in at the same time

Oooh, When plugged into the back it says "Speakers".

But when I plug it into the front it changes to "Headphones"....

How can I make it so that the back is also set as Headphones?

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

You might be able to configure the rear port to be a headphone out instead of a speaker out. but the easier option would be to look for the option (see picture)  set it so they play at the same time. Not sure you have this exact option, you might however have something similar 

8 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

I'm trying to find that setting but I can't. Is it under sounds?

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

for me, it's in the audio console. I get there by searching for "Realtek" in the Windows start menu. If your computer uses a different brand for the sound, search for that

26 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

for me, it's in the audio console. I get there by searching for "Realtek" in the Windows start menu. If your computer uses a different brand for the sound, search for that

Thanks! I couldn't find realtek audio anywhere so I went to the gigabyte website and downloaded the latest realtek hd audio driver and now I can hear everything just fine!!

I was just missing the driver... here I thought windows update did everything already. 

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

Just now, David_Kwan said:

Thanks! I couldn't find realtek audio anywhere so I went to the gigabyte website and downloaded the latest realtek hd audio driver and now I can hear everything just fine!!

I was just missing the driver... here I thought windows update did everything already. 

In most cases with such diverse hardware in the gaming industry you have to manually download the correct driver. most likely windows has a driver that will get it working, just not perfect or with some features missing. 

Good that it works now!

Thanks @Dioneyesos!

Is there any other drivers I may need to download myself?

When I built my PC I only downloaded the latest BIOS from the motherboards website.

Now that I installed the Realtek Audio drivers, I am thinking of manually updating/installing other drivers that Windows may have just installed to get it working.

PC Specs:

Peripherals: