External GPU's with macOS

I'm helping a friend with an external GPU enclosure for her new Macbook (I know, she got it against my my suggestions). 

Anyway, we have decided on the Razer core X due to it's availability in Australia and it just is generally nice. However, when looking at GPU's all the documentation from Apple says they only support AMD cards. As far as I am aware the 10 series nVidia cards introduces macOS support.

Are we limited to AMD cards?

Would an nVidia card still work?

From what i know Apple doesn't support any nvidia GPU's and they don't want to, i think it was considered to give nvidia support but was later abandoned.

4 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

From what i know Apple doesn't support any nvidia GPU's and they don't want to, i think it was considered to give nvidia support but was later abandoned.

FUN!! Thanks Apple! 

The best thing you could do is just forget about mac os and pretend it doesnt exist.

49 minutes ago, Robert J. said:

The best thing you could do is just forget about mac os and pretend it doesnt exist.

I wish i could TBH. 

5 hours ago, BaneOfKnoll said:

FUN!! Thanks Apple! 

To be fair, even with a good GPU you still won't be playing many games as very few are ported to mac, so you need to run Windows on your mac anyway and in that case you can just use an nvidia card. 

21 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

To be fair, even with a good GPU you still won't be playing many games as very few are ported to mac, so you need to run Windows on your mac anyway and in that case you can just use an nvidia card

Too true, I didn't even consider the game's actual support for the OS. 

That then raises the question of support for the eGPU through bootcamp... Are the drivers functional?

Have you thought about installing windows on your mac?

13 hours ago, Robert J. said:

Have you thought about installing windows on your mac?

It isn't mine and my friend needs it for music production etc. I'm gonna install windows with bootcamp for a dual boot setup.