FirmwareUpdateService - Weird service in Windows on ThinkPad T580

Baterka

image.png.de4c7cc7fdc9f6b3b32a27665f1ca799.png

This is very weird service running on my new notebook ThinkPad T580. There is original Windows 10 Pro copy and Lenovo Vantage installed. I updated some BIOS and battery firmwares but as this seems related it is installed here:

image.png.ca3830fb48a90921e24b375ba95369fb.png

(In C:/Windows)

This seems shady to me but there is not any uninstaller or so so I am asking if someone have info about this and if its not some type of virus. I don't understand why there is need for some firmware update service :D Is there way to find program by some signature on internet?

I need to know more if its safe to disable and just delete from disk more than know if its some virus :D

Website programmer & Electrician & PC HW lover!

• 1 year later...

Hi Baterka,

This service tries to upgrade the Fibocom firmware of your cellular modem, probably after every startup of your laptop.

For some reason, it failed each time; I had the same issue, see "UpdateDebugLog.log" file:

".... [Error][CPacketUpdate::FirmwarePacketUpdate] unZipFlsFiles Fail. "

".... [Information][CStateWork::InitWork] ParseFls failed  >>"

Go to the Lenovo driver update website, and select the Fibocom driver to upgrade, download and install it.

You can shut down the FirmwareUpdateService from the "Computer Management" app, turning the "Startup Type" to "Disabled".

There is no Dependencies for the service and it should not affect anything else in your PC.

Greetings!