Same RAM, Speed and Capacity

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

When it comes to timings, bigger values means more conservative, more relaxed, slower.

For example, by changing one of those 15 to 16 you mean you're giving the memory sticks 16ns instead of 15ns to reply to a command - the cpu will wait 1 ns more for the memory to reply and make data available before sending commands again to the memory. I'm over-simplifying things just to make it easy to explain.

At low frequencies like 2400 Mhz, there really shouldn't be any problem.

However, at higher frequencies, some motherboards - most often the ones on the cheaper end - have difficulties working with 4 memory sticks at same time, especially if they're of the DS type.

There's SS and DS sticks ... SS are easier to drive (work with) by the memory controller in the processor, DS sticks are a bit harder, so often if you use 4 DS sticks you can't quite get the highest frequencies... like you buy 4 x 8 GB DS 3200 Mhz sticks but you'd get crashes or problems, which go away if you run the sticks at 2933 or 3000 Mhz.

So you're mixing the memory types, you have 2 sticks that are SS and two sticks that are DS... as you run at 2400 Mhz like i said twice already I think, you're most likely gonna be fine. But just in case you get errors, it could just be one channel has harder time working with the DS sticks, so by loosening the timings you may get things error free again.

You may not have to raise the voltage all the way to 1.35v.. try combinations of looser timings and higher frequencies.

Heya Guys!

I just want to make sure that i didn't miss anything on checking RAM.

I already have a 2x4 Gskills Ripjaws 5 2400mhz RAM. right now im thinking on adding 2 more sticks with matching brand and speed and timings. but the price of that same sticks are much higher compare to with the previous price that i initially paid for (2700 PHP to 3250 PHP). that was 2016 vs 2019.

I do have a friend that offers me an Aegis stick from Gskills, with same speed, timings, voltage and capacity. (See photo below). He's selling it right now at 2000 PHP, which is much cheaper than the brand new, and he also used the sticks before on his system with zero problems.

I know that this is the general rule on pairing two different RAM sticks, but the only difference of these sticks are:

1. Aegis RAM is 1x4, and it's two separate sticks

2. My Ripjaws V is 2x4 out of the package.

3. CL of Ripjaws and Aegis is CL15D and CL15S respectively

My question is, since they have the same speed, timings and capacity, will it be okay to mix it to my system even though their CL's are just have a different letter?

56391655_325380058161793_3709707508621770752_n.jpg

56483214_274455033487986_639641997560250368_n.jpg

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

Yes, you should be able to mix them.

If you have problems with them, you may want to increase the timings a bit ... for example instead of 15-15-15-35, use 16-16-16-38 or something like that. Or you could also try raising the voltage a bit, like let's say 1.25v

But I doubt you'd have any issues - 2400 Mhz is not a high frequency, and any motherboard and cpu should be able to handle it just fine, even with 4 sticks installed.

19 hours ago, mariushm said:

Yes, you should be able to mix them.

If you have problems with them, you may want to increase the timings a bit ... for example instead of 15-15-15-35, use 16-16-16-38 or something like that. Or you could also try raising the voltage a bit, like let's say 1.25v

But I doubt you'd have any issues - 2400 Mhz is not a high frequency, and any motherboard and cpu should be able to handle it just fine, even with 4 sticks installed.

Hi! Thanks for the help!, btw, i'm still not sure what will i gain on raising the timings? for the voltage, i overclock the Ripjaws from 2400mhz to 2700mhz, with voltage at 1.35v. I'm thinking on doing the same on the other two sticks once i got it and test it with memtest.

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

When it comes to timings, bigger values means more conservative, more relaxed, slower.

For example, by changing one of those 15 to 16 you mean you're giving the memory sticks 16ns instead of 15ns to reply to a command - the cpu will wait 1 ns more for the memory to reply and make data available before sending commands again to the memory. I'm over-simplifying things just to make it easy to explain.

At low frequencies like 2400 Mhz, there really shouldn't be any problem.

However, at higher frequencies, some motherboards - most often the ones on the cheaper end - have difficulties working with 4 memory sticks at same time, especially if they're of the DS type.

There's SS and DS sticks ... SS are easier to drive (work with) by the memory controller in the processor, DS sticks are a bit harder, so often if you use 4 DS sticks you can't quite get the highest frequencies... like you buy 4 x 8 GB DS 3200 Mhz sticks but you'd get crashes or problems, which go away if you run the sticks at 2933 or 3000 Mhz.

So you're mixing the memory types, you have 2 sticks that are SS and two sticks that are DS... as you run at 2400 Mhz like i said twice already I think, you're most likely gonna be fine. But just in case you get errors, it could just be one channel has harder time working with the DS sticks, so by loosening the timings you may get things error free again.

You may not have to raise the voltage all the way to 1.35v.. try combinations of looser timings and higher frequencies.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I never knew about timings even though i can just googled it up.. haha.. All i just worried about is the overclock and voltage control. i just leave the timings at stock speed.

Thanks again!