GTX 760 Windforce Missing Capacitors

Opencircuit74

Hello,

I recently bought a couple of dead graphics cards (7970 Vapor-x and 760 Windforce OC) for the coolers, but realized that fixing them was possible. I managed to get the 7970 working after re-soldering some transistors that had come loose, but the 760 has a different problem. It seems to have been dropped, and 3 capacitors look to have broken off. I took some similar looking ones from a broken 7950 and soldered them on to no avail. The system gives me no video bios (basically no card detected) and does not POST. Is there any way to get a schematic of the board or to find replacement capacitors? I'm currently in the process of contacting Gigabyte, but I doubt they'll give me that info. Thank you for reading.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

36 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

I took some similar looking ones

What? Did you even check capacitance?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What? Did you even check capacitance?

I got the card with the caps gone, I just used capacitors that look similar to them to replace them. Sorry, I should have cleared that up.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

21 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

I got the card with the caps gone, I just used capacitors that look similar to them to replace them. Sorry, I should have cleared that up.

that is effectively pointless, if you use capacitors solely based on looks you are either changing nothing or introducing something else that's wrong. Capacitors that look near identical can be orders of magnitude different from one another, so if these capacitors are important, using the wrong ones yields a yet still broken card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

that is effectively pointless, if you use capacitors solely based on looks you are either changing nothing or introducing something else that's wrong. Capacitors that look near identical can be orders of magnitude different from one another, so if these capacitors are important, using the wrong ones yields a yet still broken card.

Yes, I'm aware that the capacitors can have wildly different capacities and aren't really dependent on size, but I had to try something. do you know of any way to get those values? I very much doubt that gigabyte is going to just hand over parts of their schematic, even if it's an old card.

31 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

do you know of any way to get those values?

I've hardly ever seen a bare component, if you know what the old ones look like then ideally you'd be able to read the capacitance on them. Did they fall off while the card was in your posession or were they absent on arrival?

Also, these board schematics are not as hard to find as you think, others have done teardowns and board analyses

Primary PC:

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I've hardly ever seen a bare component, if you know what the old ones look like then ideally you'd be able to read the capacitance on them. Did they fall off while the card was in your posession or were they absent on arrival?

Also, these board schematics are not as hard to find as you think, others have done teardowns and board analyses

I know what you mean, but no, I don't have the capacitors that fell off. The reason that I suspect it was dropped was the bent cooler and the pads that looked like they had capacitors attached and then broken off.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:37 AM, Opencircuit74 said:

I know what you mean, but no, I don't have the capacitors that fell off. The reason that I suspect it was dropped was the bent cooler and the pads that looked like they had capacitors attached and then broken off.

is this the windforce model you're working with? which capacitors are gone?

Primary PC:

Yes, that is the exact model apart from mine is the 4GB model. The caps are all on the back, sadly. I looked on the front and everything seemed to be fine, just three on the back.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:42 AM, Opencircuit74 said:

Yes, that is the exact model apart from mine is the 4GB model. The caps are all on the back, sadly. I looked on the front and everything seemed to be fine, just three on the back.

Here are some high res shots of the card:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_760_WindForce_OC/4.html

Where are your missing capacitors?

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Here are some high res shots of the card:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_760_WindForce_OC/4.html

Huh. The back of the 4GB is different from the 2GB I guess, as mine has an additional row of caps at the bottom where 2 of them are missing. I'll see if I can find the back of this card. It's the first revision, so the model is GV-N760-4GD REV:1.0

40 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I just took a picture of the card and drew the arrows in. 

1359864400_GPUMarked.thumb.jpg.ddb56baaec8589d5926e69a84c852f8f.jpg