SSD LIFE

Deathdefyer

I purchased a Mushkin 120gb back in 2011 from Maplin (now folded/gone bust) and absolutely hammered it (read/write hours - into double figure k's) and had absolutely no issues with it.

Used daily inc a lot of video/photography and CAD based project besides hours and hours of gaming.

How often do you change/upgrade their SSD's and what is the longest life you have had out of one?

Asus Z170 Maximus VIII HeroSkylake Core i7 6700K Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Quad Channel

Asus GEFORCE GTX960 Strix 4GBZalman Z11 Plus HellfireMushkin 120gb 6g SSD 1TB Samsung HDD Corsair CX750 PSU -  SAMSUNG 40 SMART 3D TVArctic Cooling Arctic Freezer13Logitech Z5500 - Windows 10

All about that ssd life baby!

I'll end up purchasing some new SSD's when I build a new rig. I can't say I've had a SSD for a long time really, just near daily use of mine since 2015.

23 minutes ago, Deathdefyer said:

I purchased a Mushkin 120gb back in 2011 from Maplin (now folded/gone bust) and absolutely hammered it (read/write hours - into double figure k's) and had absolutely no issues with it.

Used daily inc a lot of video/photography and CAD based project besides hours and hours of gaming.

How often do you change/upgrade their SSD's and what is the longest life you have had out of one?

I never had an SSD die on me, and I've never heard from someone that it died on them either. They do technically die if you write to them however many GB their max capacity is times however many thousands of times the manufacturer claims. That isn't very common to happen, so you’ll probably upgrade your entire computer before your SSD fails.

Well although it's not too common that SSD's fail, a German test of SSD's shows that a Crucial BX 200 drive lasts 2.5 times (280 TB total) longer than the specified, and a Samsung SSD 850 PRO drive reached 60 times (9.1 petabytes total!) the specified lifetime.

So if you don't write absolutely huge amounts of data you would be pretty safe as long as you use high grade SSD from like Samsung or Intel.

Source:

https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2018/02/07/how-long-do-ssds-really-last/

I've pretty much stuck with Samsung except for a few years where the price was still high and I started moving to larger drives.  I found generally I've gone through less than 5% the life of the drive before selling it and that is rated life they tend to be able to get more than rated.

Bigger drives have larger life expectancies too my 2TB 860 evo for instance has a 1.2PB rating.  BTW since I moved to minimum 500GB and then 1TB drives I haven't found a need to go with "pro" versions especially with SATA drives.  I don't however find ANY value in the QVO drives at the moment endurance is way worse and the price isn't that much different.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

20 hours ago, ewitte said:

I don't however find ANY value in the QVO drives at the moment endurance is way worse and the price isn't that much different.

Endurance may not matter much depending on your usage.  As for the price, it can add up quickly. 

In my NAS I'm currently using eight 4TB WD Reds (in RAIDZ2) for my movies, series etc.  In my use case, data is only written to the drives once and from then on it's only being read.  That's perfect for an SSD.

The 4TB 860 QVO currently sells for 499€ here, so if I were to upgrade to those my total cost would be 3992€.

The 4TB 860 EVO is 629€ at the same shop, so for 8 of those I'd pay 5032€.  That's 1040€ more and it will make no difference whatsoever in terms of reliability.  The only thing I get for all that money is 2 more years of warranty (5 vs 3).  

With the price difference I can literally buy 2 spare drives, just in case one dies outside of warranty.  

Your also not benefiting from either SSD for a movie library.  Unless you have hundreds or even of thousands connecting to it.  The 4TB drives haven't dropped to consumer prices yet so I'm not surprised.  I've got 1TB EVO drives for as little as 125 on special I'm finding QVO for $117.99.  The gap widens at 2TB and again at 4TB.  IMO though its time to start looking at another manufacturer if your looking only at price.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Yeah, archive drives can still be platters for most of us. SSD for boot/games/software.

You would go for an SSD for media if you want reliability in moving it (no moving parts of going to unit etc) and a media center (smaller etc in some form factors MSata etc), or if doing video editing.

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

You would go for an SSD for media if you want reliability in moving it (no moving parts of going to unit etc) and a media center (smaller etc in some form factors MSata etc), or if doing video editing.

Or if you are president of the "more money than brains" club and want peace and quiet. 

My WD Reds are 3.5 years old now, so they're out of warranty.  Given the usual 5 year lifespan of HDDs, I expect the first one to fail in 1.5 - 2 years. 

If the prices for those 4TB SSDs remain the same or drop even more, I probably won't replace the Reds with HDDs anymore.