9700k problems with performance

I upgraded from an i3 8350k to an 9700k, but now while playing games like far cry, and ghost recon wild lands, or gta 5 my FPS is dropping into the 30’s with my new 9700k, but when I had my 8350k it was hitting well above 60 FPS no problem. The card I’m using is a gtx 1070, my temps on the 9700k are sitting in the 40 C range while playing these games and it is turbo boosting to 4.5ghz. The overal usage is under 50 percent as well. Not sure why I’m getting such poor performance. There doesn’t seem to be any thermal throttling either as I checked with aida64. Real bummer that most of my favorite games are taking a hit :/ any idea what could be going on?

i7-9700k

16gb DDR4

gtx 1070 

Msi z370 gaming plus motherboard 

Hello there,

Have you tried reinstalling the cpu, also check if the CPU slot or the CPU itself has the right number of pins (it should be the same though, because both are i3's), None are bent and so on, maybe you want to take the RAM sticks out, or even update the motheboard ;)

I recently upgraded from an i3 8350k to an i7 9700k and I’m seeing a big decrease in performance and I’m not sure what is causing this. My games were running at about 80 FPS with the 8350k but now with the 9700k they are hitting lows of 30 FPS. CPU usage is in the 40 percent area. Temperatures sit in the 40 C area and there isn’t any thermal throttle. Could it be my graphics card?

Which games, exactly? Low usage may just be the game not using the extra cores 

Edited by Shreyas1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Which games, exactly? Low usage may just be the game not using the extra cores 

Doesn't quite account for the decrease in performance, the i3 to the i7 is an increase no matter what

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, Zuccers said:

it should be the same though, because both are i3's

Not quite, one is an i3 and one is an i7

4 hours ago, Zuccers said:

also check if the CPU slot or the CPU itself has the right number of pins

I don't think OP has the time to count 1151 pins

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Actually, it would be best if you could just list your entire specs

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Is this a fresh install of windows? What is the whole system spec? What are the temperatures in game?

41 minutes ago, BollyWood401 said:

I recently upgraded from an i3 8350k to an i7 9700k and I’m seeing a big decrease in performance and I’m not sure what is causing this. My games were running at about 80 FPS with the 8350k but now with the 9700k they are hitting lows of 30 FPS. CPU usage is in the 40 percent area. Temperatures sit in the 40 C area and there isn’t any thermal throttle. Could it be my graphics card?

did you check your power options? sometimes power saver can make a difference if that is selected. go balanced or high performance

lows of 30? what were the lows on the i3? what are you averaging on your i7?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x