Used graphics card advice

ronfouchier
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
8 minutes ago, ronfouchier said:

@fasauceome

Would the Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X OC 4GB be an alternative or is this card too power hungry?

That's a really hungry card, it can draw like 300 watts. I would avoid it, it only offers a little less performance than a 580 anyways which is newer and more efficient, which is your best bet.

Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a used graphics card in the 100€ to 150€ range.

I originally built my system with the following components in 2013 and was wondering, if there are any graphics cards in the aforementioned price range, that would noticeably improve framerates.

My current sytem looks like this:

Intel Core i5-4750 3,2 Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6950

Bitfenix Shinobi
Be Quiet 430 watt
8 GB gskill DDR 1333 Mhz
Gigabyte H87-HD3

The most demanding titles I currently play are Rainbow Six Siege and Fortnite on a 22 inch 1650*1080 Display. I might upgrade my screen in the future to an HD panel.

This is my first post on the forums. Please let me know if I did not provide any necessary information.

Cheers,

Ron

1 minute ago, ronfouchier said:

Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a used graphics card in the 100€ to 150€ range.

I originally built my system with the following components in 2013 and was wondering, if there are any graphics cards in the aforementioned price range, that would noticeably improve framerates.

My current sytem looks like this:

Intel Core i5-4750 3,2 Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6950

Bitfenix Shinobi
Be Quiet 430 watt
8 GB gskill DDR 1333 Mhz
Gigabyte H87-HD3

The most demanding titles I currently play are Rainbow Six Siege and Fortnite on a 22 inch 1650*1080 Display. I might upgrade my screen in the future to an HD panel.

This is my first post on the forums. Please let me know if I did not provide any necessary information.

Cheers,

Ron

U can get an rx 580 for 100 usd

wait a while and u could find an 8gb card 

Hi DotzHyper,

thanks for your quick reply.

Do you know if I will run into trouble wattage wise, if I opt for an Radeon EX 580?

Thanks!

Ron

7 minutes ago, ronfouchier said:

Hi DotzHyper,

if you want someone to see your reply, wither quote them or use @DotzHyper so they get a notification

Do you know if I will run into trouble wattage wise, if I opt for an Radeon EX 580?

probably not, but what's the make and model of your PSU?

Also, the 580 will likely be a little held back by the 4570 so an upgrade to a 4770 down the line would help you out

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You'll be limited by your power supply more than anything, 430W will be a squeeze with most GPUs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

50 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

if you want someone to see your reply, wither quote them or use @DotzHyper so they get a notification

probably not, but what's the make and model of your PSU?

Also, the 580 will likely be a little held back by the 4570 so an upgrade to a 4770 down the line would help you out

@fasauceome Thanks for the heads up.

The PSU is a be quiet! L8 Pure Power PC ATX 430W PCIe P8 CM:

https://www.amazon.de/quiet-Pure-Power-L8-CM-430W-Netzteil/dp/B005JRGVAW

2 minutes ago, ronfouchier said:

@fasauceome Thanks for the heads up.

The PSU is a be quiet! L8 Pure Power PC ATX 430W PCIe P8 CM:

https://www.amazon.de/quiet-Pure-Power-L8-CM-430W-Netzteil/dp/B005JRGVAW

On our own tier list (you can click the PSU in my signature to lean more), the L8 is listed as a rather low end option, it should be just enough for your needs but replacing it with a higher quality unit down the line would also be a good investment, should you see fit.

56 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You'll be limited by your power supply more than anything, 430W will be a squeeze with most GPUs.

not really, anything less power hungry than Vega will be pretty good on 430 watts. Only thing is the unit, I'd rather not power an expensive GPU like a 1070 with it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@fasauceome

Would the Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X OC 4GB be an alternative or is this card too power hungry?

4 hours ago, ronfouchier said:

Hi DotzHyper,

thanks for your quick reply.

Thanks!

Ron

I think you’ll be fine 

@fasauceome

That's a really hungry card, it can draw like 300 watts. I would avoid it, it only offers a little less performance than a 580 anyways which is newer and more efficient, which is your best bet.

Primary PC:

• 3 months later...

Hey there,

following up on this thread I ended up buying a used 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ for 146 USD on eBay.

I get constant framerates in titles like Fortnite when playing in Full HD with ultra settings and couldn't be happier.

The most noticeable change besides the improved framerates is the lack of noise. This card runs some much more quietly compaed to my Sapphire Radeon HD 6950.

Thank you so much for your help.