laptop cpu upgrade

Hi guys
I am new here and i want to excuse for my poor english in the beginning.
I am writing from germany.
I have an sony vaio vpcf24m1e laptop and i am thinking about upgrading the cpu.

currently there is an i5 2450m in there and the sony support, whom i talked to, said that an i7 2670qm was also sold in this laptop.

Does that mean that i can only put those two cpus in the laptop, or can i put any second gen i5/i7 into it and it will run?
My main problem is that i don't know whether that i7 would be much better.
Sure there are two more cores, but they are not faster than the 2 cores in the i5 2450m, whereas an i7 2860QM would be a much better upgrade if i can find one, because the single core performance is also much higher that the i5's

thanks for you help

greetings from germany

devryd

i am only using this laptop in university
at home i have a tower w/ rizen 71700 and gtx 1070

i also have fun just tinkering with this stuff.

i also use it in university to code and for that some processing power is nice.

and yeah, i know that it is not really worth it to upgrade a 7year old laptop

After looking into your Vaio's model number I found that it uses the Sony MBX-243 motherboard which uses Socket G2 (rPGA 988B). This socket physically supports Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge i3, i5 and i7 processors. In theory, as long as Sony released a BIOS update at some point after the launch of Ivy Bridge, your Vaio should be capable of running the newer Ivy Bridge processors. The difference in power consumption between the 32nm Sandy and 22nm Ivy is a real thing.

71t7HN0Dj9L._SL1000_.jpg

The best CPU you could theoretically install would be the i7-3940XM, but it is far too expensive and has a 55W TDP, and that's if Sony released a BIOS update. A more realistic option would be the i7-3740QM, again considering the BIOS, or to be on the safe side, the i7-2860QM.

Years ago, I shoehorned an MBX-185 into a Vaio VGN-NR that was designed for the MBX-182 so I could gain the Nvidia GPU, PM965 chipset and better power delivery of the 185. In the end I took that Vaio from the original Pentium T2310 and 1GB DDR2 with Intel graphics all the way to a Core 2 Extreme X7900 overclocked to 3.4GHz with 6GB DDR2 and a 8400M GT. I ran that machine from 2007 until the end of 2017. 

Never give up on a classic Vaio.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

So you think any second gen i5 or i7 should work? 

There is no BIOS Upgrade for my Laptop 

I even asked the Sony Support but they said no

Theres some great cheap computers out there now. You'd get an overall better computer for cheap. Just make sure it has 8gb of RAM and at least a core i3 and you'll be dandy. Or you could go for an i5 for some extra longevity

I dont really need This Computer 

It is just for tun. 

I Do know that it doesnt make much sense to upgrade this machine 

But I would like to Do it, because it is possible

I did a simular thing with a dell laptop from the same era (to bad the laptop is broken now) and i threw an i7 in it and it worked fine

so as long as the new cpu is the same socket you should be fine

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

@Lagercat1

i doubt that every cpu with the same socket will work
there is no bios update for this laptop and the ivy bridge cpus came out after this laptop was made, so these cpus can't be supported

i quess i will get an i7 2760qm or something.

that will give me 2 extra cores and a little bit more single thread performance

22 hours ago, Devryd said:

@Lagercat1

i doubt that every cpu with the same socket will work
there is no bios update for this laptop and the ivy bridge cpus came out after this laptop was made, so these cpus can't be supported

i quess i will get an i7 2760qm or something.

that will give me 2 extra cores and a little bit more single thread performance

okay, im jest letting you know what i did to get it to owork, no bios ect 

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

• 2 weeks later...

a few days ago i got the cpu 
my laptop is now running an i7 2760qm
it also stays below 80°C with prime95 and furmark, so i am pretty happy right now

thanks for your help