Disk boot failure

ranshaa05
Go to solution Solved by ranshaa05,
13 hours ago, perkyzombie said:

sounds like this is a socket 775 (intel) or 939 (amd), that will not have SATA 3. SATA 3 started appearing on motherboards around 2nd gen core series for personal desktops. yeah, quick look at chipset features around Sandybridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

As the IDE operation is concerned, sounds like you had a hard drive and DVD on the same cable originally, make sure the jumpers at the back are set to master and slave respectively and that the cable is plugged into the motherboard to hard drive to DVD. Else just plug in the DVD and jumper it to master. Auto will also work but for troubleshooting fix it proper to master and slave. (of course HD to master does not require a slave to be present)

If you are trying to boot WIN XP from the IDE, check the bios is set to IDE and not AHCI -if IDE emulation is available in AHCI mode than this isn't necessary. (also try visa-versa when trying to install 10, ie AHCI mode)

During the first year Win10 was out I upgrade a win7 install on an Asus P5K-E running a duo E8400 with 8GB of DDR2 1066, the system was unusable.

If you really want to game on this system I'd recommend Xubuntu or turn it into a Retro-rig and either keep XP or I'd go for Win98 SE.

the cdrom and original hard disk are connected via sata, not ide, so no slave-master stuff is going on.

will try to change it to ide on the bios but i don't recall seeing that option on the bios menu..

i'm not going tu use this computer as a main PC, but as a retro gamin machine.

I just got a second hand DDR2 computer and i tried booting it up and recieved a "DISK BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" message, so i tried booting to a CD but i noticed that the BIOS did not detect any CDROM drive. i tried disconnecting the main disk and it suddenly recognized the CDROM and even booted from it.

i tried connecting another disk with windows 10 on it, and it recognized it but couldn't boot from it. tried booting with the two disks and were back to square one: none of them were detected.

can anybody explain this??

Try an older version of windows... that computer might not have the minimum specs

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

Try an older version of windows... that computer might not have the minimum specs

it has 8gb ram and a 2.6ghz processor so i doubt it, but i can not seem to make it recognize my IDE HDD with windows XP on it.

2 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Try this^^ but also check if the board supports sata 3? some boards might outright deny anything that isn't directly compatible with it

// Specs: //

// I5 4690K @ 4.0ghz//

// Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA) //

// 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600mhz //

// Kingston A400 240gb SSD (boot drive) //

// WD Blue 1TB HDD (mass storage) //

// Samsung 850 Evo 500gb (Games SSD #1) //

// Kingston UV500 480gb (Games SSD #2) //

// Corsair VS450 PSU //

// MSI Z87M GAMING //

// Beaten up Corsair 550d //

1 minute ago, kian7890 said:

Try this^^ but also check if the board supports sata 3? some boards might outright deny anything that isn't directly compatible with it

if by sata 3 you mean 3Gb/s then yes, it does.

my board is a GA-EP41-UD3L

1 minute ago, ranshaa05 said:

if by sata 3 you mean 3Gb/s then yes, it does.

my board is a GA-EP41-UD3L

is the drive you're using 6gb/s or 3gb/s?

if its a 6gb/s maybe try and find a 3gb/s drive or try and go back in time and find a sata 2 ?

// I5 4690K @ 4.0ghz//

// Corsair VS450 PSU //

// MSI Z87M GAMING //

is the drive you're using 6gb/s or 3gb/s?

if its a 6gb/s maybe try and find a 3gb/s drive or try and go back in time and find a sata 2 ?

i don't know but im guessing it uses 3gb/s.

i just tried another old IDE disk ant it showed me windows XP's mode selection screen but as soon as i press enter it flashes a blue screen for a split second and restarts.

if it wont work with ide then idk what to do. ide is the oldest you can really go. 

maybe you can try and revvert the bois on the board to an older version? but seeing as though the board is old, good luck finding older drivers for it

// I5 4690K @ 4.0ghz//

// Corsair VS450 PSU //

// MSI Z87M GAMING //

if it wont work with ide then idk what to do. ide is the oldest you can really go. 

maybe you can try and revvert the bois on the board to an older version? but seeing as though the board is old, good luck finding older drivers for it

i actually tried to flash a newer bios on this board earlier but it wouldn't detect my flash drive?

ahhh XD this is a proper weird system. i cant help any further than this. sorry :)

// I5 4690K @ 4.0ghz//

// Corsair VS450 PSU //

// MSI Z87M GAMING //

sounds like this is a socket 775 (intel) or 939 (amd), that will not have SATA 3. SATA 3 started appearing on motherboards around 2nd gen core series for personal desktops. yeah, quick look at chipset features around Sandybridge.

As the IDE operation is concerned, sounds like you had a hard drive and DVD on the same cable originally, make sure the jumpers at the back are set to master and slave respectively and that the cable is plugged into the motherboard to hard drive to DVD. Else just plug in the DVD and jumper it to master. Auto will also work but for troubleshooting fix it proper to master and slave. (of course HD to master does not require a slave to be present)

If you are trying to boot WIN XP from the IDE, check the bios is set to IDE and not AHCI -if IDE emulation is available in AHCI mode than this isn't necessary. (also try visa-versa when trying to install 10, ie AHCI mode)

During the first year Win10 was out I upgrade a win7 install on an Asus P5K-E running a duo E8400 with 8GB of DDR2 1066, the system was unusable.

If you really want to game on this system I'd recommend Xubuntu or turn it into a Retro-rig and either keep XP or I'd go for Win98 SE.

13 hours ago, perkyzombie said:

the cdrom and original hard disk are connected via sata, not ide, so no slave-master stuff is going on.

will try to change it to ide on the bios but i don't recall seeing that option on the bios menu..

i'm not going tu use this computer as a main PC, but as a retro gamin machine.