Help! Wifi is working but not ethernet

FBGKimpan

Hello

So I have run into a problem which is pissing me off. 

My wifi is working without issue, however, I cannot get the ethernet to work. This means, my Phillips Hue Hub is not working, my Apple TV 4k is not working, my desktop is not working. These are connected to Ethernet. 

Other devices that are connected to Wifi, has no problem. 

I have tried;

Reseting my router several times.

Letting my router be disconnected for 2h. 

Other ethernet cables (Tried to connect another cable to my Apple TV. My cables to my desktop aint that long). 

Tried using netsh winsock reset, netsh int tcp reset, netsh int ip reset

Factory reset my router through its web interface

I tried to do a restore on my desktop back to the 23th, when my ethernet was working.

Ive called my ISP. No issue on their end.

Tried to give my router a static IP. 

I have also gone through almost everything on this site; https://windowsreport.com/ethernet-valid-ip-configuration-windows-10/ 

When I run the troubleshoot I get ,  "Etherenet" doesen't have a valid IP configuration. 

My router is a Asus 56U and I updated my firmwire to 3.0.0.4.380_7378, which I did after my ethernet started to fk with me. 

On my router, the connection between my Fiber and Router is lighting Orange. 

So are 2 other ports. 2 are green. 

When I change cables, they just changed location (as in, port 1 is orange, 2 is green, if I swap them 2 is now orange and 1 is now green). 

What the fuck can be the problem? 

EDIT:
I ripped all my cable management out from my desktop and used the ethernet cable directly into the Fiber.

It works.

So that means I can rule out my computer, cable and ISP.  The issue must be with my router.

What can be wrong? :S

If you've tried everything you said you did then it sounds like the switch ports on the router may have failed.

You could try unplugging everything from the router except power cable.

Hold the tiny reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds.

Router should now be factory reset and require default username and password to access config screen.

Plug your desktop Ethernet cable into one of the Lan switch ports (1-4) on the router (not the WAN port) and see if you get and ip address on the desktop that looks like 192.168.1.x. If you see an address that looks like 169.254.x.x then the desktop isn't getting a valid response from the routers DHCP server.

(x = any number between 2-254)

If you don't get a valid response from the DHCP server in the router, try a different Ethernet cable/switch port/ or computer.

If none of the ports/cables/computers get a valid ip address from the router when plugged into the switch ports then the internal switch has likely failed in some way and you'll need to replace the whole unit.

If you do get a valid address and can access the config screen at http://192.168.1.1 then you can proceed to plug in your ISPs modem into the WAN port and begin configuring your Wifi and security settings again.

Once that is complete and working you can begin connecting the other wired and wireless devices one at a time and verify they all connect successfully.

31 minutes ago, trufret said:

If you've tried everything you said you did then it sounds like the switch ports on the router may have failed.

You could try unplugging everything from the router except power cable.

Hold the tiny reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds.

Router should now be factory reset and require default username and password to access config screen.

Plug your desktop Ethernet cable into one of the Lan switch ports (1-4) on the router (not the WAN port) and see if you get and ip address on the desktop that looks like 192.168.1.x. If you see an address that looks like 169.254.x.x then the desktop isn't getting a valid response from the routers DHCP server.

(x = any number between 2-254)

If you don't get a valid response from the DHCP server in the router, try a different Ethernet cable/switch port/ or computer.

If none of the ports/cables/computers get a valid ip address from the router when plugged into the switch ports then the internal switch has likely failed in some way and you'll need to replace the whole unit.

If you do get a valid address and can access the config screen at http://192.168.1.1 then you can proceed to plug in your ISPs modem into the WAN port and begin configuring your Wifi and security settings again.

Once that is complete and working you can begin connecting the other wired and wireless devices one at a time and verify they all connect successfully.

Thanks! I'm in bed atm so can't try it now. 

However, I tried a brand new cable to my apple TV before bed, and it did get a 168 ip with a wire. 

The desktop wire can't be broken as it works when I put it into my fiber jack. 

One thing about the ports. When I turned my desktop off, the port it was connected to, turned green. When I turn on the comp, it turned orange. 

Port light colours indicate the speed of the link. For that model Orange should be a 1 Gbps link, Green should be 10/100 Mbps 

46 minutes ago, trufret said:

Port light colours indicate the speed of the link. For that model Orange should be a 1 Gbps link, Green should be 10/100 Mbps 

Thank you for all your help. 

I tried to connect several cables to my Apple TV and my TV. I couldnt get internet on any of them. 

My desktop is to far away to try the cables I have.. 

I also tried to change cables between my router and fiber jack. Nothing changed.

I tried what you suggested before, I only kept getting 169 adresses. 

I tried a very very VERY old shitty router and I got a 192 adress on my desktop (but couldnt set it up because I cant remember the password and shit, ISP modem so not default passwords). 

I tried to connect my desktop to my fiber jack again, and I got a 192 adress. 

So I decided to buy a new router and see what happens.. Bought a asus rt-ac86u, hopefully it will be a slight upgrade on WiFi speeds and sort my ethernet out.

I couldnt justify a more expensive router :( Nighthawk x10 was about 100euro more expensive 

btw, I forgot to say that I got an extensive smart home, which might mess with the router? Like 15 hue lights, nanoleaf wall, 2 echo dots, 4 google home mini, harmony hub etc

If you've reset your router and only had wired devices plugged in and couldn't get a valid IP but using an old router did provide valid IPs to your wired devices then I would say its pretty certain that your 56U has suffered a failure in the switch component.

I was using an rt-ac86u until recently and it served me very well.

Unless you have more than 253 devices on your home network, the default class C network size most home routers use should be plenty.

If you are getting close to the maximum number of hosts for a class C network you might want to double check on the size of your DHCP address pool in the router so you don't run into an issue where you have 200 devices trying to get dynamic IPs but the router only set aside a pool of 150 addresses to hand out.

I think the new router should solve your Ethernet issue.

Best of luck.

It was solved by a new router.

Now I just need to get the speed my ISP is promising me :)

Question; Is my old router worth trying to sell / use as extender or something? Or just toss it?