pls I need some math help

Allupyourfinger
Go to solution Solved by Dash Lambda,

This looks like a homework problem. I'll explain what you're doing at each step using an arbitrary function f(x).

Reflection about the y-axis: You're flipping the direction of the x-axis, so f(x) -> f(-x).

Translate 5 to the right: You're moving it along the x-axis, which means you're changing x again, so f(x) -> f(x - 5).

Translate 3 down: Now you're moving it along the y-axis, which means you're modifying y, and the function itself is your y coordinate, so f(x) -> f(x) - 3.

Compress vertically by 1/2: You're squishing the function so it's half as tall, so f(x) -> f(x)/2

Write the equation for the function that results from each transformation applied to the base function y=2^x

Reflect with respect to the y-axis, right 5, down 3, verticle compression of 1/2

17 minutes ago, Allupyourfinger said:

Write the equation for the function that results from each transformation applied to the base function y=2^x 

Reflect with respect to the y-axis, right 5, down 3, verticle compression of 1/2

y=((2^(x-2))-3)/2

maybe? I haven't taken a math class in years.

image.png.b440aa4939cc06e029a8681019d20f7d.png

This looks like a homework problem. I'll explain what you're doing at each step using an arbitrary function f(x).

Reflection about the y-axis: You're flipping the direction of the x-axis, so f(x) -> f(-x).

Translate 5 to the right: You're moving it along the x-axis, which means you're changing x again, so f(x) -> f(x - 5).

Translate 3 down: Now you're moving it along the y-axis, which means you're modifying y, and the function itself is your y coordinate, so f(x) -> f(x) - 3.

Compress vertically by 1/2: You're squishing the function so it's half as tall, so f(x) -> f(x)/2

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

7 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

❤️

10 hours ago, Allupyourfinger said:

The equation is f(x) = 1/2(2)^-(x-5) -3

Steps:

- f(x) = 2^x

- f(-x) = 2^-(x)

- f[-(x-5)] = 2^-(x-5)

- f[-(x-5)] -3 = 2^-(x-5) -3

- 1/2f[-(x-5)] -3 = 1/2(2)^-(x-5) -3

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

10 hours ago, CodeNova said:

y=((2^(x-2))-3)/2

maybe? I haven't taken a math class in years.

image.png.b440aa4939cc06e029a8681019d20f7d.png

That's not correct.

8 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

OP wants the equation for the function.

Also for the vertical compression, it's more correct to write 1/2f(x) than f(x)/2.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, Geography said:

OP wants the equation for the function.

I said it looked like a homework problem.

I love to help people with math, but I make a habit of not just telling them the end result, instead telling them how to get the end result. If someone's having trouble understanding how to do something, giving them enough of the reasoning behind it for them to do it themselves is infinitely more helpful than telling them the answer.

1 hour ago, Geography said:

Also for the vertical compression, it's more correct to write 1/2f(x) than f(x)/2.

Actually, that's somewhat ambiguous notation. You would ideally write (1/2)f(x) or f(x)/2, as 1/2f(x) does not rigorously enforce whether the function is in the numerator or denominator.

Neither way is more correct, though. They're the same exact thing; f(x)/2 is just (1/2)f(x) after you've performed the multiplication. It's like the difference between f(x) + (-3) and f(x) - 3.

9 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

If someone's having trouble understanding how to do something, giving them enough of the reasoning behind it for them to do it themselves is infinitely more helpful than telling them the answer.

Obviously it is. Even I mentioned the steps. But I also wrote the answer, which is what the OP wanted.

Actually, that's somewhat ambiguous notation.

It's difficult to write fractions in this forum since you'll need brackets in so many places.

They're the same exact thing; f(x)/2 is just (1/2)f(x) after you've performed the multiplication.

The Canadian education system taught me that (1/2)f(x) is more correct.

23 minutes ago, Geography said:

Obviously it is. Even I mentioned the steps. But I also wrote the answer, which is what the OP wanted.

But if you give people the answers, they don't have to do it themselves. My priorities are often different from simply answering questions.

30 minutes ago, Geography said:

It's difficult to write fractions in this forum since you'll need brackets in so many places.

Which is why I don't. Or at least, why I avoid it.

31 minutes ago, Geography said:

The Canadian education system taught me that (1/2)f(x) is more correct.

Yeah... That's kind'a the problem with compulsory education systems nowadays, they get so pedantic. Especially with math.

Another thing is having radicals in the denominator. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just sometimes easier to work with if you get them out -but kids are taught to always get the radicals out of the denominator, even if it just wastes time and doesn't make anything easier.