The current status of the laptop market

21 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

A what with a snapdragon? Try and avoid run-on sentences, use commas and periods to make it easier to read.

Yeah, laptops do get hot, and some have poorly engineered cooling designs. They're still stuffing a lot of hardware in something ranging from smaller than a magazine to the size of a thick book. How about you go take a 4c/8t or higher CPU, 8-16GB RAM, a mobo, wifi, full I/O, screen, speakers, mic, battery, cooling setup, storage, GPU, fingerprint reader, keyboard, trackpad, stuff that all in a book, and tell me how much it cost you to do that? That's R&D, they spend a lot figuring out how to fit stuff in there and designing systems to let it perform -if not well, at least perform- decently. That's a big upfront cost, not to mention they're gonna be harder to put together than tower PCs. They cost more to design and more to make, of course they cost more to buy too. 

I understand what you are saying but something manufacturers do should really be question. Some companies make different deices with same specs same cooling, i/o and all the other things yet one will be ten time more expensive than the other when there is nothing which can justify that. Dell's xps 15 2-in-1 9575 is more expensive than their dell xps 15 9570.

You can't possibly win an argument saying the intel core 07 8705g is more powerful than an intel core i7 8750h+nvidia gtx 1050ti max q.

The dell xps 15 9570 has the better battery life of the both. These products are from the same manufacturer so have very similar build and are from the same line. The prices of the dell xps 15https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/find-a-system.html?productId=130411 9575 are just crazy compared to the dell xps 9570.

5 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

I understand what you are saying but something manufacturers do should really be question. Some companies make different deices with same specs same cooling, i/o and all the other things yet one will be ten time more expensive than the other when there is nothing which can justify that. Dell's xps 15 2-in-1 9575 is more expensive than their dell xps 15 9570.

You can't possibly win an argument saying the intel core 07 8705g is more powerful than an intel core i7 8750h+nvidia gtx 1050ti max q.

The dell xps 15 9570 has the better battery life of the both. These products are from the same manufacturer so have very similar build and are from the same line. The prices of the dell xps 15https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/find-a-system.html?productId=130411 9575 are just crazy compared to the dell xps 9570.

Damn that could be because one is a 2-in-1 and the other isn't ya never know. Funny thing is the normal XPS starts at $1,699, the 2-in-1 starts at $1,299.... which is cheaper than the normal XPS, not more expensive. By $400 or so. You have to go 3 options up to get within the starter price of the normal XPS, $1,650. Sure, it's a lower spec still, but it's also a 2-in1, not a normal laptop. More has to go into those than just spec, they need to withstand being folded in half hundreds of times, so more R&D, more engineering, more expensive components.

Do you even look at the products you're quoting? That's like comparing a Lamborghini to a modified F350 with more power and torque, they're different products for different use cases. You can't compare laptops on specs alone, there's a whole other side to them. Tower PCs are like Legos, you put them together as you see fit. Laptops are like comparing Nerf guns, sure one might shoot farther but it's also bulky, one costs more and performs worse but has better attachments, etc.

You're going off the silly notion that specs and performance alone drive price.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Damn that could be because one is a 2-in-1 and the other isn't ya never know. Funny thing is the normal XPS starts at $1,699, the 2-in-1 starts at $1,299.... which is cheaper than the normal XPS, not more expensive. By $400 or so. You have to go 3 options up to get within the starter price of the normal XPS, $1,650. Sure, it's a lower spec still, but it's also a 2-in1, not a normal laptop. More has to go into those than just spec, they need to withstand being folded in half hundreds of times, so more R&D, more engineering, more expensive components.

Do you even look at the products you're quoting? That's like comparing a Lamborghini to a modified F350 with more power and torque, they're different products for different use cases. You can't compare laptops on specs alone, there's a whole other side to them. Tower PCs are like Legos, you put them together as you see fit. Laptops are like comparing Nerf guns, sure one might shoot farther but it's also bulky, one costs more and performs worse but has better attachments, etc.

You're going off the silly notion that specs and performance alone drive price.

Firstly the dell xps 9570 that starts at $1700 is the top spec model uncostumised while the dell xps 15 9575 that is $1300 is bottom spec model uncostumised. You should really do your research on these prices. The dell xps 15 9570 bottom spec model starts at $1000 while the dell xps 15 9575 starts at $1300. Now you tell me if making a 360 degree hinge, a touch screen and pen support are worth the extra $300. Besides dell puts those three features in some their cheaper devices like their inspirons. I get worse at the top,the dell xps 15 9570 top spec uncostumised is $1700 and this has 512 GB NVME SSD, 16GB DDR4 RAM, intel core i7-8750H with nvidia gtx 1050ti and full HD screen. Meanwhile the top spec uncostumised of the dell xps 15 9575 starts at $2000 with only 25 GB NVME SSD, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, with an intel core i7-8705G which has an AMD Vega M GL and 4K screen. It is clear that the dell xps 9570 has a better panel for creatives. So as you can see the xps 9570 has better specs for the price. When it comes to build quality they are very similar if not exact, these products are from the same company and of the same line. Now you can't tell me that I will pay more than $300 for just a flip able hinge and touch and pen support(some dell xps 9570 have touch support) this make no sense how dell will charge you so much more for another product just for these three/two things

2 minutes ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

Firstly the dell xps 9570 that starts at $1700 is the top spec model uncostumised while the dell xps 15 9575 that is $1300 is bottom spec model uncostumised. You should really do your research on these prices. The dell xps 15 9570 bottom spec model starts at $1000 while the dell xps 15 9575 starts at $1300. Now you tell me if making a 360 degree hinge, a touch screen and pen support are worth the extra $300. Besides dell puts those three features in some their cheaper devices like their inspirons. I get worse at the top,the dell xps 15 9570 top spec uncostumised is $1700 and this has 512 GB NVME SSD, 16GB DDR4 RAM, intel core i7-8750H with nvidia gtx 1050ti and full HD screen. Meanwhile the top spec uncostumised of the dell xps 15 9575 starts at $2000 with only 25 GB NVME SSD, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, with an intel core i7-8705G which has an AMD Vega M GL and 4K screen. It is clear that the dell xps 9570 has a better panel for creatives. So as you can see the xps 9570 has better specs for the price. When it comes to build quality they are very similar if not exact, these products are from the same company and of the same line. Now you can't tell me that I will pay more than $300 for just a flip able hinge and touch and pen support(some dell xps 9570 have touch support) this make no sense how dell will charge you so much more for another product just for these three/two things

"You're going off the silly notion that specs and performance alone drive price."

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

If it's strictly price/performance you want out of your computer, you probably aren't looking at a laptop.

Laptops, and especially gaming laptops, are for the people who are more than willing to pay a little more for the convenience of not having to sit at a desk to play games or do video editing or even just web browsing.

My laptop is a fairly cheap Ryzen 5-based laptop that I purchased used for $310 because I desired some portability, especially since I don't like using my phone for everything. The ability to play Call of Duty: Black Ops, CS:GO and Team Fortress 2 feasibly on this machine is a hell of a bonus.

Guess what, if paying a bit more for similar performance for the benefit of portability isn't your thing, no one said that you had to get a laptop. But many people do like that option, and many people choose that route. The advent of cheap but powerful CPUs with good iGPUs is honestly making laptops more feasible for people who play lighter games, too.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

30 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

If it's strictly price/performance you want out of your computer, you probably aren't looking at a laptop.

Laptops, and especially gaming laptops, are for the people who are more than willing to pay a little more for the convenience of not having to sit at a desk to play games or do video editing or even just web browsing.

My laptop is a fairly cheap Ryzen 5-based laptop that I purchased used for $310 because I desired some portability, especially since I don't like using my phone for everything. The ability to play Call of Duty: Black Ops, CS:GO and Team Fortress 2 feasibly on this machine is a hell of a bonus.

Guess what, if paying a bit more for similar performance for the benefit of portability isn't your thing, no one said that you had to get a laptop. But many people do like that option, and many people choose that route. The advent of cheap but powerful CPUs with good iGPUs is honestly making laptops more feasible for people who play lighter games, too.

the thing is the chaep/moderate cpu and gpu catergory is still over priced. I am not asking for intel core i7 8750h laptops to be cheap. I am asking for the prices of nvida's mx 150 laptops and intel u and g processor prices to go down and laptops over $1000 should have more than 128GB space and not SATA.

To those who still think I am wrong to prove ur point give me a laptop for $750. This laptop must have at least i5-8250u,1tb hard drive with optane,good build or 512 gb ssd, 1080p screen at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly most of what I am trying to push out is that the premium companies keep on charging is just not worth it. And the market should have more budget laptops with good specs for the price.

• 1 month later...

Imjst same to push out to this thread that my views have Benn moved a little with the upcoming Nvidia gtx 16 series laptops and Intel's 9th gen H series and AMD pushing ryzen mobile harder than ever.