Issues with windows & veracrypt

Puffhead

Hi there, I'm having some weird issues with a hard drive and veracrypt.

I fully encrypted a non-system drive with a standard veracrpyt volume and
sometimes after I wake my computer up from sleeping, my drive that I have completely encrypted will not show up in veracrypt, nor will the drive show up in windows. I can't mount the drive in veracrypt because it isn't detected in windows. Normally how it works successfully is the drive will show up in windows as "Local Disk (D:)" and when I try to access it via the file explorer, I get an error. I then mount the drive to the letter Z: in veracrypt and boom, all my data is there, working fine on that drive.

When this issue occurs and I boot from off, or wake from sleep, there's no D drive in explorer, so I cant mount that drive in veracrypt. Sometimes rebooting fixes this issue, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, my main C drive is an in encrypted system partition that requires me to enter my password before the bios screen appears.

I have the third pin on the drive taped with kapton tape as widely suggested.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/

I'm unable to accurately reproduce this issue, it's not *every* time I wake the computer from sleep, or turn the machine on.

Computer information:
-Windows 10 Education 1803 x64
-Veracrypt 1.23 Hotfix 2
-White label easystore 8TB drive
-Drives set to never spin down in windows power settings.

What are my next steps to troubleshooting this?

No idea, I never had such an issue with Veracrypt.  My drives don't show up in Explorer at all until I tell Veracrypt to mount the drive and I enter the passphrase.  Weird.

Then again I'm on Win7 and have sleep disabled.