Windows XP disk partition errors

Betahuman
Go to solution Solved by Maria Khan,

I would suggest you to download a new setup may be you have setup file corrupted. Windows XP ISO Download.

So here's the thing: My Dad uses an old PC (Windows XP) and at some point it simply wouldn't turn on anymore. I try to take it out to recover whatever I can but this 1TB Samsung HDD has two partitions:

- The Windows partition (Unreadable)

- The other one where all the stuff is

My question: After recovering the files I could recover with the program "Recuva", is there some way to simply "paste" the old files in the new installed Windows partition (also Windows XP) without corrupting it like the old one was?

i only have experience with acornis's solution. but it looks like you can rebuild the mbr, the master boot record, as xp doesnt support gpt.

but if the files are still readable, use softwares like these to transfer them. DO NOT copy and paste them in os, boot to a pe if possible. acronis can make a bootable usb key which is a mini linus os by itself.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 3/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, zassou said:

i only have experience with acornis's solution. but it looks like you can rebuild the mbr, the master boot record, as xp doesnt support gpt.

but if the files are still readable, use softwares like these to transfer them. DO NOT copy and paste them in os, boot to a pe if possible. acronis can make a bootable usb key which is a mini linus os by itself.

Sounds interesting. Any links to descriptions or downloads so I can search for it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 6:39 AM, Maria Khan said:

I would suggest you to download a new setup may be you have setup file corrupted. Windows XP ISO Download.

This is really helpful, thanks a lot!