Laptop random update

EggyRepublic

Today after I took my computer out of my bag (previously in sleep mode) it was very hot. When I opened it up, the screen would not turn on so I held down the power button and forced a restart.

After rebooting, it started a windows update, which took half a minute, but after going into settings > update and security, the "update" that just happened did not appear in the logs. I also set my computer to update only in the night, so this update was obviously not a planned one.

What happened? Is my computer infected by a virus? Why were there a random update with no records of any kind?

(My laptop is a Surface Book)

which log did you check? it could have been a driver update and i dont believe that those are listed in the log through windows update settings log. 

Edited by Saksham

Lemme get this straight.  You keep you laptop in a bag while it is turned on?  If so, that's completely nuts.  No wonder it was hot.  There is absolutely no moving air inside a closed laptop bag so leaving the laptop on inside the bag is obviously going to generate some heat.  You're lucky it didn't catch fire.

23 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Lemme get this straight.  You keep you laptop in a bag while it is turned on?  If so, that's completely nuts.  No wonder it was hot.  There is absolutely no moving air inside a closed laptop bag so leaving the laptop on inside the bag is obviously going to generate some heat.  You're lucky it didn't catch fire.

When I close the lid it goes into sleep and stop all processes, when I take it out it should be nice and cool.

58 minutes ago, EggyRepublic said:

When I close the lid it goes into sleep and stop all processes, when I take it out it should be nice and cool.

Believe it or not, going to sleep is actually a process.